Fly Tying
Graham

So, who's tying a Camel Spider?

I've been meaning to get started tying a Camel Spider, like the one Ashby posted, and figured making this post here would be like kicking myself in the butt to get started.... I will git r' dun and will take step by step pics. Now I'm wondering if anyone else is up to it?

Graham

Ummmm..... If it's to be anything like the Camel Spiders I saw in the Middle East, you're gonna need a BIG hook! :)

IPB Image

Lookit the teeth on this li'l bugger: I bet his orthodontist is a rich man!

IPB Image

Cheers!

Gary

Hey thanx Gary.

I had seen the top pic you posted before, but not the bottom one.. That's the one I want to copy. I really don't want to tye it huge, and will probably use the same stuff as my scorpion, a hook, very fine-stiff brass wire, and cut strips of foam. Maybe a feather inlaid in the back would look cool.

Cheers!

Graham

Graham,

The top picture is actually decieving: The spider (not actually a spider (!)) is held out in front of the guys so perspective is skewed.

The largest Camel Spiders are around 5" spread out. (Big enough, for sure!)

Cheers!

Gary (saw 'em on 2 of my 3 tours over there... Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!)

Hey, Graham.

Wow, nice work! I hope to get to that level of skill and artistry in realistics, I love bugs. Thats what drew me into fly tying. I have two kinds of spiders in my yard. Goldenrod spiders post-5937-1153370500_thumb.jpg(yellow or white) that hide in my irises and a really cool spider called a jewel spider,post-5937-1153370454_thumb.jpg the j.s's are huge tan colored with a cats face on the back of their abdomens. We had a record 13 adults in our yard a few years ago. In the spring I have about 300-500 redish mini babies in a cluster on my front door, they all drop like parachutists if they are disturbed. I move them into the garden. I have also seen a blue and a green fishing spider at a nature bog near home!post-5937-1153370542_thumb.jpg Off topic a bit, I know, I just love talking ' bout spiders!

Man I hate spiders ecspecially the ones that can leave a mark on you. That camel spider looks like a horror film creation.

Cant wait to see you pics of the creation :bugeyes:

I never understood why people squash bugs they see all the time. I have a big latrodectus in a jar for a pet... I will post a pic.... one of the prettiest ones I've ever seen too..

Jeff

Jeff...I think you and Ducky have the same problem...namely voluntarily having black widow in your house :o

I wouldn't be able to slep and would constantly be brushing off my legs...

Dude the camel spiders look like some real bad lads, in the first pict thats 2 stuck togeather correct? And those crazy a$$es are touching em instead of shootin em :unsure: :blink: brave men they are, brave indeed, I would much rather have bullets flyin at me than come face to face with one of those things, and thats no joke.