Fly Tying
colbyjack

outdoor scenery today

Here's some pictures I shot of Margaret Falls earlier this season. Think these will be a trip down memory lane for Peterjay. Unfortunately, I don't have a wide enough angle lens to capture the falls in one shot but will hopefully be changing that soon.

Ernie

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's a couple of shots taken out in the yard a couple of days ago. Spider was still there today.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Wow! Talk about deja vu! Great pics Ernie - I can almost smell the trees - I don't know if the place qualifies as a North American rain forest, but it's about as close as I've ever been to actually being in one. My wife is gonna be astonished when I show her this stuff. Your top pic of the falls is virtually identical to the print I spoke of, except mine is in black and white. (I once sold a copy right off my living room wall) I swear I also have a shot of the same leaning tree - gotta see if I can find it. Thanks a bunch for sharing your pics - guess we weren't the only ones who thought that was a special place. BTW - If I'd seen your bull trout photos before we'd gone up there, I'd have uncased the rod and done some serious snooping around. (LOL)

Man what a place. B.C, never been there. Newfoundlad first then B.C, thanks for posting those shots. I have wondered all my life what it would be like there. From your pictures I can see that my imagination works well!!

Got lucky with a lull in the wind yesterday. Miniature Lavendar plant on the front porch. The flower is about 3" long. Used 2 second delay and no tripod. Too lucky!!

IPB Image

Got lucky twice

IPB Image

Love how the background just fries!!

IPB Image

A day of sturgeon fishing on the Columbia River often ends with sunsets like this. Facing toward Portland and the Oregon Coast

IPB Image

Mount Hood in the background to left. Right side is the Columbia Gorge - Washington State side.

Later

Fred

Sweet photos, keep'em coming!!!!!

I found a nice Hybiscus blossom in my back yard today, and took this pic using a 105mm macro lens. I should have tried diffusing the direct sunlight, but I kinda like this pic. I know the focus is not perfect, but it is breezy today.

IPB Image

This is the another pic from the same photo, just not cropped in so close....

IPB Image

Nice shot Graham. Check out that background!!! Give a try to burning a background and I will as well. Like the lip of the petal in the Hibiscus photo. Try for some purples. They are too cool!!

later

FRed

Thank's guys... I plan on shooting my camera everyday now, even if its just a quick shot of a flower. I'm wondering what "burning a background means"? Making it completely black? I just tried that and it seemed to come out nice and black, even in direct sunlight.

post-992-1154826333_thumb.jpg

The depth of fiield causes the background to be nothing but blotches of colors. To accent the flower by suggesting color configurations in the background. Blues and purples are possible from green leaves. I'm not exactly sure what causes the color effect. Yes, the black background is readily accomplished.

I'm suggesting a picture in a picture. Accents on the periphery of the actual object being photographed. I will set up a tripod tomorrow and do some experimenting to show you what I mean. I'm sorry it is confusing.

Perhaps the terminology I am employing is causing the confusion. To fry the background is to eliminate it entirely. The camera attempts to make sense out of the background and the only thing that can happen is big blotches of color.

later

FRed

Ahhh, thank you, I think I got it now, something like a pre-envisioned bokeh effect... I'll give it a try as well.

Well I dont have the high quality cams that you guys have, but since were shareing some recent outdoor photos....Heres a couple I took about 3 weeks ago. They are both of Will sr from this site "Leaky Waders" when he and Smalliehunter came up to fish with me a few weeks ago. I really liked the way both the pics of "Leaky" turned out.

IPB Image

IPB Image

how do ya make the background black in the flower pic? normally theres other flowers and greenry in the background.

i understand aim at the sun then take pic to make the subject black/shawdow'd.

more tips and pics please -chris