Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fly time

The Orvis Quality Guarantee

post-4351-1154658944_thumb.jpgpost-4351-1154658871_thumb.jpgpost-4351-1154658805_thumb.jpgWell I got the Orvis quality guarantee, I got a guaranteed piece of Orvis $hit, this is supposed to be one of the toughest reels, bull$hi*, I dropped this reel form about a foot or less on grass, big mistake and here are the results, I will never own another Orvis product as long as I live, and I used to be a big fan, not any more, they are $hit in my book!! what are your thoughts and opinions? be honest

I've heard lots of good and bad on Orvis, all I own of theirs is my breathable waders. If I ever get a leak in them I'm not worried about whethe the'll repair them or not. I wouldn't ever buy an orvis reel though, too many quality alternatives that are way less expensive

I went through 3 "Whorvis" reels in 3 weeks back around 1995. They said it was a "bad batch" at the time...but after 3 reels I said ir was a "bad brand" in my opinion <_< I will NEVER own another Orvis reel...JUNK in my opinion. I know everyone likes their own brands and I dont mean to insult the Orvis following...but the Batenkill is garabage IMO! :ph34r:

I think that alot of the "big Namers" have lost something along thier way. That is customer appreaciation and commitment to honor their word. I just had a run through with supposably" the best vise maker in the world" When they wouldn't honor thier own warranty. They guarantee the Master vise for a life time against Workmanship and materials. This was clearly a piss poor job of tempering the jaws therfore was it faulty materials or workmanship or both? My friend Lily said it was from using to big a hook in the jaws at first. When I explained to her that the largest hook that I have in my collection was a 5/0 and she advertises this vise to tye from 10/0 down to a 28 how can see advertise that.

Then she said everything wears old including us. Now there's some customer appreaciation!

I would'nt buy another one of ANy of their products when they treat people like they're shit.

I told it really pisses me off when you invest $800.00 in a vise (Ausable Speed crank, and some other shit) and end up with an inferior product, and they won't fix the problem. I never got any of this kind of shit dealing with the Griffin company ; in Fact they're really quite nice to deal with . So like I told my Friend Lily, You don't always get what you pay for but, when somebody burns me I always get pay backs and the internet is a very powerful tool.

Was it an Orvis Vice :dunno: :lol: I know how ya feel, this reel was obviously poor material and or craftsmanship!!

No, It was a Salt Water Master vice that would'nt even hold a size 12 nymph hook (200R) without sending it sailing across the room when you inserted it in the jaws. I was really getting nervous about putting my eye or someone elses eye out ( I do alot of tying at shows).

I use an Apex Anvil vice, and it runs just a little over $100 bucks, comes with clamp, pedistol, and material clip, oh yea tools too, its a roatery and I have no complaints, holds hooks of almost any size, I love it!! :headbang:

Yikes! I've been warned.

So far I've always stuck with $30 Okuma Sierra reels and they've been just fine. If I ever go after steelheads or pike or muskie or whatever, I'll have to drop some bigger coin on a reel, but not until then!

I've only owned one Orvis reel, a Battenkill that's lasted 10 years - it still works, mainly because it hasn't seen all that much use. I doubt that I'd buy another one though. I broke the tip on my 9wt Saltrodder a while back and I sent it back. They not only replaced the tip, but they put on a new grip without being asked. A friend of mine is constantly breaking rods (mostly from going way too light on big fish) and he has nothing but good things to say about Orvis service. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Orvis rod, but I've had better luck on low-end reels with SA, (I've got an 11-year-old SA on my 12wt which has been through hell but still works fine) and I'm partial to Islander reels when a have a few more bucks to spend, which happens about every 15 years or so.

I have the Battenkill Mid Arbor on my 6wt and 8wt, and though They're purty I think spending $125 on those reels for my applications is too much. If I bought another reel, I'd get something cheaper.

On the other hand, I tend to blow a good chunk of change on my spinning reels and baitcasters. Shimano Calcuttas are the shizzle. Shimano's spinning reels, though, bind when you get 'em soaked. I have a Stradic and I have binding problems on it now after some serious creek fishing. Eventually I'm gonna buy and Okuma something or other. Those reels get good reviews on riversmallies.com