Fly Tying
harleyhunter

A.K. Best Interview for Hatches

Hey Guys,

A.K. Best has agreed to an interview for Hatches Magazine. A.K."Archie" Best has been a fly tier and fly fisherman for well over thirty years. He has lectured and demonstrated fly fishing and fly tying from coast to coast and taught classes in fly tying in many states and shows.

A.K. has authored numerous books, including "Production Fly Tying", "Dying and Bleaching Natural Fly Tying Materials","A. K.'s Fly Box",and "Advanced Fly Tying." He has authored over 100 articles for numerous magazines as well.

Please post any questions you would like to see in the interview. This is your chance to ask the professionals what you wanna know. Come on guys and lets make it a great interview.

Best Wishes,

Sam

I'll start it off Sam....

1. Tool recommendations....AK as you know is partial to the SM bobbin and also created his own line of tools.

Ask about the third hand, the way he sets up his bobbin holder system(it's not attached to the stem of the vice) and his modified Wiss scissors.

2. Dry fly hackle selection; he has some very definite opinions here.

3. Why he prefers quill bodies for dry flies.

4. AKs hackling method for traditional dry flies.

5. Tips on organzing yourself for more productive sessions at the bench and more consistent fly quality when you are tying multiples of the same pattern.

I've got more but let's see what the other guys and gals want..........

Hot Tuna

I talked to him for a while at the Fly Fishing Show in Arlington, TX, back in March and he told me that a couple of companies were in negotiations with him about selling his vise design. Please ask him how those discussions are going.

Thanks,

Joe

the fly, in his opinion, that is the be all, end all in terms of design, quality, durability, fish catching ability etc. and what are his preferred brand of hooks

Over the years who many flies do you think you have tied, rough guess?

What are your favourite types of flies to tie?

What threads do you like best?

Any tips on fly photos?

Who or what inspired you to tie flies?

What are some good fish attracting qualities for flies, (nymphs, wets, streamers, dry's)

Any vice recomendations?

Do you still sell flies and if so where can they be bought?

Whats your favourite dry fly hackle?

I have had an AK Best vise for 3 years and it is a work horse and nicely designed. I don't know if they are still sold?

Sam...Mr. Best is one the icons of fly tying. What does he hope is passed down to future generations in regards to his contributions?

Keep up the good work!

Later. Thom

I read somewhere, where he and John Gierach made a video about float tube fishing. Is it available somewhere??

Is he planning on making any new fishing videos??

Does he have a website telling his show schedule for the year??

OK guys lets get them in. I wanna give it another week or so before I put together the interview. As always I will be picking out the best ones to submit to A.K. Best. I will get in touch with him this week and figure out the details with him.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far! :headbang:

-Sam

I have never heard AK discuss foam flies. I know that he prefers natural materials, but foam hoppers, ants, stone flies, etcf, seem a natural for foam. What are his comments and/tips?

Bill

Is AK working on any more video's Fly tying or otherwise?

Will he be doing any shows in New England?

I need to rewatch a couple of his video's again as I remember there were a couple of things that I was curious why he used a certain technique.

I would ask these few if I may.

1) How important is water quality in the dye bath to the end result in terms of shade?

2) Is it worth using distilled water for bright colours/shades, eg fluoro red?

3) Is it worth using 10 - 30% solution of acetic acid rather than "off the shelf" vinegar?

4) Is it worth using formic acid for bright colours/shades if the correct safety precautions are taken?

With very few exceptions (flying ant wing - baggie and his spinner wing - organza), A.K. uses natural materials. Seems to be more of a deliberate aversion to synthetics than just preference. Ask him why?

-Bamboo