Fly Tying
Mustang Mike

spade hackle fibers?

Help. I was reading the receipe on a fly and came across this ...

"Dark Dun Spade Hackle Fibers:

OK, I understand (dark) Dun and Hackle fibers, but what is spade referencing? :blink:

Thanks!!

Spade feathers are found around a roosters shoulders, between the neck and saddle. Spade hackles have very long fibers, and are excelent tailing material. You can buy tailing packs from whiting, or use the feathers from the top of a saddle, or bottom of a neck. Most distrubutors cut the away, but there are usually a few they miss.

Another way to say it is that “Spade” hackle refers to those feathers on the right and left-edges of a rooster cape. As Nick noted, these have stiff barbs long enough to be suitable for use as tailing fibers on standard dry flies, like the Adams, Light Cahill, etc.

As chickens were selectively bred to produce very high quality genetic hackles in a wider range of smaller sizes on a given neck, however, spade hackle has been practically bred out of existence in certain genetic hackle lines. This is particularly true, for example, on Whiting rooster necks which represent, arguably, the best dry fly rooster neck hackle available.

This has led to some folks substituting micro-fibbetts or paint brush bristles for use as tailing fibers. Others, preferring to stick with natural materials, have sought out and used feathers from Coq De Leon capes, which also provide long, stiff barbs suitable for use as tailing feathers. Many of the Coq De Leon feathers are also attractively speckled which, to many, including myself, looks buggier than regular spade hackle. These are the source of the feathers you’ll find in Whiting’s “Tailing Packs.”

-- Mike

Maybe these photos will help. As was previously said, the spade hackles are located at the left and right edge of a rooster cape. The fibers of these feathers tend to be fairly long and stiff and make good tailing for flies.

post-4573-1156808648_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1156808663_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! I truly appreciate the info!!! The thumbnail from Ray, with the spade area marked, was an excellent visual as well!!

I really hate feeling like a "tying dummy." I feel SO much more "hackle-wise" now!! <_<

Mustang Mike:

It was interesting how the replies to your question got more and more specific, until letumgo posted the pictures. He thinks like me but as yet I don't have a digital camera to do what he did. Good info everyone!

Here's a bit more info: you won't find spade fibers on genetic rooster saddles, where most premium medium to small, and smallest dry fly hackle comes from. And "spades" are usually web-free and often long enough to tie tails on a #8 dry fly.

The Whiting Tailing Packs are nice, and also there are tailing packs available from Collins Hackle Farm in Pine City, NY.

Regards:

Don

Just FYI, spade hackle can be replaced with shoulder hackle that grows right at the shoulder joint of roosters. Here is a pic that shows shoulder hackle and a size 14 hook. Plenty of web-free barbs for tails and such. IPB Image. CR bird farms leaves a lot of these type of feathers on their necks and don't trim them off. I'm sure the other sources of these feathers mentioned here are great also.

Mark