Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mikeq

Penns Creek

We are considering the possibility of going to penns creek near weikart, pa pretty soon but before we do anything, what type of flys are working there now? Don't want to go unprepared!

Hi Mikeq,

Welcome to the site. Its a great place to learn and a great group of fisherman and fisherwomen who are willing to share lives and experience. I see you are from PA, what part of PA?

I live in Camp Hill and fish the Breeches and Susquehanna, as well as other waters. I have been to the little J once this year, but due to a kneee injury in June and knee surgery beginning of August have not hit the water much. I did hit (I should say limped) to the Yellow Breeches Labor day morning and hooked up with 9 trout (only landed 6), and missed a ton of risers.

Penns is one of my favorites. For a good report of whats hatching give the "Feathered Hook shop" in Coburn a call. The owner, Jonus, is usually on the money with the right patterns. We have had days when only his flies worked.

Fly shop # 814-349-8757 The Feathered hook also has a web site.

We have a lot of PA guys on the site. WE MUST GET TOGETHER SOON. sorry only yelling because we Pa folks have done a poor job of getting together. (That's what makes the net so nice).

Conehead

sorry only yelling because we Pa folks have done a poor job of getting together.

That's you darned Eastern guys. :P I think most of the Western guys have fished together.

I hope us easterners can fish some time soon! By the time it happens with luck ill have enough money for insurance so I won't be paying family to go places not so close. :D

Hey Blueman,

I used to live in Pittsburgh (north side). The reason you guys get together is because erie steelhead are only a couple of hours away. That's enough to make anyone change their schedule. Steelhead for us in the mid-state is a 5 hour drive. for the eastern Pa guys why go 5 hours for steelhead when you can hit the bay for stripers in 2 hours.

Let's just face it, People in western PA are more friendly than in the east.

conehead

Former western Pa boy

i used to live in lewisburg, just up the river from you. for penns creek, talk to the coburn fly shop as well as the fly shop on main street in lewisburg (sorry i'm blanking on the name right now). between the two of them, you should get the right info.

also, don't discount white deer. often less crowded and better fishing

Lewisburg huh? White deer hole creek you mean? Ive heard about it. Today going to fish right below the fabri damn in sunbury, waters a 'slight' bit high but im hoping for the best. Penns creek or white deer is probably a bit to messed up for today.

If you fish Penns Creek on the right day ,your in for a treat. Can't answer your post penns creek changes every hour ,really tough fishing for me (usually)

Good Luck -carry a wading stick.

John