Fly Tying
letumgo

Yeah...we have got power again

My wife woke me up at midnight on Thursday evening to tell me that our power was out and there were trees crashing down all over outside. It was snowing very heavily all evening and the weight of the wet snow was ripping the trees in the neighborhood to pieces. It was amazing when we looked outside and could hear the trees snapping and crashing down all over the place. When we woke up on Friday morning our yard was a huge mess. There was a bunch of big branches crashed against our back door and in our back yard. There were two limbs across my car, and a bunch piled all over our glass picnic table. We spent the last two days cutting up limbs and dragging them to the street. Our power was restored this afternoon.

Our poor maple trees are probably ruined (one looks like a scary Halloween tree now with broken limbs instead of branches)...

We were very lucky though and did not have any property damage (cars were fine, glass table somehow came through without a scratch, and none of our windows broke). Amazing.

Here are some photos for your enjoyment...

(PS - you may want to stock up on batteries and other winter emergency supplies when you get a chance...winters coming...)

post-4573-1160869036_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1160869223_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1160869422_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1160869466_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1160869579_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1160869645_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1160869899_thumb.jpg

You must be a fellow New Yorker. I'm in Rochester, we got a light dusting. I'm glad to hear you made it out without much property damage. Sorry to hear about the maples. About 4 years ago right before bed with a ice storm coming I said to my wife "I hope we don't lose the maple, it's my favorite." The next morning, the maple was standing, but lost a few large branches. The stinking 25 arborviteas in the backyard, which we wanted to remove, stood their as if nothing happened.

Did it all melt today?

oatka - Yeah, the snow is all gone this afternoon. It warmed up and was raining earlier today so the snow all melted. Unfortunately I think the streams are to high to fish due to the quick melt off. Oh well, at least we've got power again.

Amazing seeing so much snow so early, great pics as well. I spoke to family in Medina NY earlier today, they got a few inches. I'll be back there in three weeks fishing, and booked my flight into Rochester instead of Buffalo, just in case the lake effect snow is flying.

I sure hope your trees recover!

Cheers,

Graham

same thing happened this spring here the leaves came out and the trees sofened up and then we got 3 ft :blink:

glad everything came out alright though

hey oatka,

If ya did out those arbs i'll come pic them up if they are not big..I need some borders around here..

Glad to hear the damage was relatively minor -- it's always a shame when nice trees get trashed. I'm still cleaning up our woodlot from the ice storm here in 1998.

Bill