Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
revgnat

Moose Neck Hair

revgnat, i believe that you might be looking for "Moose Mane" which comes from the back of the moose's neck. Most shops carry it, here in my shop the cost is about $1.50 Cdn if i remember right.

At your local fly shop or maybe J stockard the sponsor of this site will sell you some.

Chris Helm the guru of all hairs should have it on his site also.

Thanks for quick responses, no I am looking for the hair from the neck, not the main or body. Believe it or not it is different in density and size. Anyway, thought I would ask before - going Moose hunting!

Thanks,

Revgnat

Revgnat,

Try one of the tackle shops in Newfoundland, they might have some. Other than that the only other way i could think of would be get a moose hunting license or find someone who is an avid moose hunter but doesn't use the neck for mounts.

Revgnat,

Try one of the tackle shops in Newfoundland, they might have some. Other than that the only other way i could think of would be get a moose hunting license or find someone who is an avid moose hunter but doesn't use the neck for mounts.

If you can find a fly shop in Nufi Land that doesn't have some, Ill eat my shorts. Moose are more common in Nufi than cattle :hyst:

Revgnat,

If you can find a fly shop in Nufi Land that doesn't have some, Ill eat my shorts. Moose are more common in Nufi than cattle :hyst:

Ha ha ha your right if it isnt in Newfoundland it doesnt exist, There is moose in New Brunswick, dont have the link but might want to send WW Doak an e-mail.

I was in maine back in the 90's during moose season and stopped a local with one in his truck (1 ton at that) he gave me a huge chunk of it...its a shame to see all that material get wasted...he said he just throws it to his dogs..

Thanks everyone!

I was get ready to tye a quantity of flies in the coming winter months, I had read in A.K. Best - "Production Fly tying" - Pg. 22 second column, "Notice that I did not say moose mane hair; specifically, it's moose hair from the middle portion of the side of the neck. Moose mane is not as hollow as the hair lower down on the neck. Moose Neck hair also seems to be much stronger and doesn't break off during use, as does moose body hair or deer or elk hair."

So I was just trying to find some to use in tying to see.

Thanks,

Revgnat