Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
knoxy

Small river flies

Now that its near winter in Britain, i've reduced the amount of fishing, and have started tying for next season.

So far i've tied up some olive patterns and klinkhammers, though any fly ideas for small chalkstream style waters would be helpful, so i can expand my collection. Photos would also be much appreciated!! :D

Chris

Thanks for the quick reply...I hadn't thought of CDC....What would Marc say!!!

I've got a magic tool set by Marc petitjean, and must give it a try some time.

Chris

Now that its near winter in Britain, i've reduced the amount of fishing, and have started tying for next season.

So far i've tied up some olive patterns and klinkhammers, though any fly ideas for small chalkstream style waters would be helpful, so i can expand my collection. Photos would also be much appreciated!! :D

Chris

Hi 'knoxy' ,

The small river flies are my favorite too.They work very well in good (worm) winter days and in spring on the bulgarian chalkstream Zlatna Panega.In late afternoon whenever night fall in hot summer days the small river flies work very well too.

This is some of my favorite imitation of Baetis(BWO), some Hendricksons(Ephemerella subvaria) and little winter midges

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

You may see most of my dry flies

here

And what about nymph ... little pheasant tail and similar

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I hope to be useful for you.

All the best,

Michael

Hey Chris, Obviously f fly f sedge etc are great cdc patterns for small rivers and always do well. Also I did you get the November issuse of trout and salmon? There was an article by Paul Procter about the use of midge patterns, he ties them up in 18-24, in one patterns he uses ostritch herl as a hackle which i thought was a great idea. Also brassies are a good midge immitation. Then the classics PTN, Killer bug, Parachutes in a wide range of sizes.

Thanks for the feedback...You've definitely given me a lot of tying to do!!!!.....though thats not a bad thing of course!!!

Thanks again

Chris