Fly Tying
Alex L.

weighting flies

Most eletronic solder is silver solder rather than lead, but to awnser your question-yupp you can do that. I've done it myself alot. Just use a tad more than you would if you were using lead because silver solder it a little lighter. Will work fine :)

I would just make sure that the solder used is not flux core or resin core. Some solders are hollow with an acidic base flux in the middle. If a little of that acid based flux would leak through the fly it could cause problems with your boxes or the other flies.

Also since fish have such a sense of smell & taste in the water, I would not want anything that would lessen my chances of a hookup

Conehead

Electronic solder is not lead free. Labels are very mis-leading......If you buy "Silver Bearing" solder the actual silver content is usually 2% and the rest tin and lead.

Regular solder is a 60/40 split of tin and lead which can be bought dry or as "hard solder" without a mix of flux.

"Lead free solder" has approx. 4% silver and the rest tin, however, all have a rosin core or flux coating unless otherwise specified.

Flux is corrosive and rosin which is another form of flux has a severe irritant that poses serious health risks to people that don't wear adequate protection. It's not water soluble either and will do more harm than probably lead ever would.

Personally, i'd go to the fly shop or on line and get tin to play it safe. B)