Fly Tying

why

I love the challenge of fly fishing more so than spin fishing. I catch more fish with the fly rod simply because I go fishing more now. The main reason is because it is the only thing that really relaxes me. I thought for years that I was getting that from golf, but found out better 4 years ago when I borrowed a fly rod and spent a few hours on the Eagle River near Vail, CO while on a vacation with my family. I had 2 strikes including a rainbow come flying clear out of the water to hit one of the 4 Elk Hair Caddis I had bought for the day. Didn't catch a fish that day, but caught something larger than anything I had ever experienced before. I went from being a guy who bought a license every year and used it a couple times to catch nothing on the spin rod to a completely obsessed fly rod geek. Dropped a couple grand in the next 2 months without even thinking about whether I could afford it. 3 months after stating that I would never get into tying, there I was tying up some ratty looking caddis nymphs. The sport touches my soul unlike any thing I've done for sport since hanging up my baseball dreams at age 19. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. -Jeff

When I flyfish, I usually persue bass and panfish. I love casting and stripping in the popper slowly and watching the little bluegill try to inhale the fly. When one suceeds, you bring in the little guy. Everyonce in awhile a bass may strike when your not ready. Do you land it, or does it catch you sleeping.

This fall I tried flyfishing with Northern_outdoorsman flyrod. I hooked my first salmon on a flyrod but lost it. I lost about 20 fish that weekend but it was worth it and fun. I love how you could keep the fly in the water most of the time unlike spin fishing. Hopefully I will have the money buy august to purchase the reel for my flyrod.

Also, like some others have said, the feeling of catching a fish on a fly you tied, or a friend may of tied for you. Last spring Flyfishenvy tied up several awsome flies for me on my spring break. All my fish that week came on those flies. I finally started tying and tied like mad. Finally, I started hooking and landing the salmon. I was using spin cast gear at the time so that might not count.

Some do it because chicks dig it.

For some it is a calling, from a higher source.

For me, it is because the voices in my head tell me to. rolleyes.gif

I can say that you guys are hitting the nail on the head. There are so many good reasons to fly fish. I found truth in all of them.

I love the fact that I am making a 3wt. rod, am tying my own flies and then go out there and catch a trout with them no matter how big the fish is. I love some of the trout streams I fish, peaceful, beautiful and the wildlife around. I 110% agree that when I am out there fly fishing, I forget about work, bills, anything else; 10 hrs. could go by and it would feel like 2 for me. And a final thought, I had been bait fishing for 20+ yrs. and wanted to try a new challenge. I felt that I had "mastered the art" and wanted something new and boy did I get it. I love fly fishing and will do it till I pass on to a greater place.

Fly Fishing 4ever rockon.gif