Fly Tying
smusgrove

Fly Tying DVDs

I received 2 Chris Helm Fly Tying DVDs for Christmas: "Perfect Pike Patterns" and "Panfish Flies That Work". For some reason, both of them freeze up frequently, and are unusable. I was wondering if anyone else had had the same problems with these DVDs.

Thanks,

Steve.

I own "Panfish flies that work" and it has never frozen up on me. Cantact Chris and explain the problem, he is a very helpful guy, I am sure he will take care of you.

i got both of tony pagliei's tying convertible tube fly dvds for my birthday. i tried them in the computer first since the tv was being used at the time, when the tv freed up i tried it but the dvd player had trouble reading it. i went back to the computer and a few skips starting off but then it was all good.

I'm curious as to whether the DVDs that exhibit this freeze-up problem have labels on them. I've been making make my own DVDs for the past few years. When I started out I bought some stick-on paper DVD labels and the associated software and tool to apply them to the DVDs. I made nice attractive labels for all the DVDs I made. Most of them ended up having the freeze-up problem. I no longer apply labels to DVDs and just write on them with a felt-tip marker.

I'm guessing that some of these fly tying DVDs may be self-produced and possibly have applied labels?

It could be your DVD player, Or your disc could be dirty. Clean it off with a clean towel, If it still looks dirty you can buy a disc cleaning liquid.

Fly Tyer Guy

Thanks for the info. These DVDs do have graphics on them, so that might be the problem. I've tried them on 3 DVD players and my PC, and have the same problem on each. I've also given them a good cleaning, and that didn't help either. I'm going to send them back, and if the replacements have the same problem, I'll contact Chris.

Thanks again,

Steve.

These DVDs do have graphics on them, so that might be the problem.

Graphics that are printed directly onto the DVD are not usually a problem. I was referring to adhesive labels that are applied to the disc.

Steve - I purchased a couple fly tying DVD's last year that came with a little card warning that similar problems could be the result of the DVD player, not the DVD itself. The problem may be a result of the format that the DVD is recorded with. Some of the older DVD players have a problem reading the new DVD formats that are being used today.

Here is what the message card read:

"IMPORTANT TO READ BEFORE PLAYING YOUR DVD

Some of our DVD's are created in the new DVD-R system which allows us to add new footage and update content.

YOUR DVD PLAYER MAY BE A PROBLEM

If you are using an older expensive DVD player, some of the DVD's may not work in your player. The newer cheaper DVD players (under 100.00) play all DVD systems including DVD-R and newer computers play them also. If you have an older player, it's probably time to buy a new inexpensive player. They work much better and you'll be set for all the newer DVD's. Cleaning the DVD and avoiding scratches helps the disk play better as they damage easily."

I don't know if this is what is causing your problem, but figured I post it since it seems to agree with what you are observing (i.e. - the DVD works on your computer but not in the DVD player)

I have had issues with the DVD skipping/freezing. It is usually the DVD itself. If you have tried it in 3 DVD's and they experience the same problem, then my conclusion would be the DVD is defective. Get it replaced.

I hope that helps

blueraven,

Thanks for the advice. I already sent them back. I could not imagine that 3 DVD players and my PC were all wrong.

Take care,

Steve.