Fly Tying
breambuster

Building A Tying Bench

I have a pretty complete home woodworking shop and have had some experience building various projects. I'd like to build a fly tying bench or station, or whatever, but what I do NOT have is a good set of plans to build it.

I've seen pictures in the Bass Pro Shop Catalog, but beyond that, I've never even seen one. Right now, I just clamp my vise to a piece of plywood which I then set on the counter in the kitchen, in front of some windows, weight it down with some boxes of materials, & go to work. I would like to have a tying station that would hold spools of thread, etc, and that I could leave my vise attached to. It wouldn't have to have legs. I can continue to just put it on the kitchen counter. Has anyone here ever built one? And if so, would you mind snail mailing me your plans, drawings, measurements, etc?

Thanks

BB

I made a make or break tying station, and want to rip it apart. I have both a c clamp which sits on one of the ends of the arms or tool benches and a base which sits in the middle of my desk. I am thinking that the arm or tool bench is way to close to the edge of my desk. Here is a picture,

IPB Image

I made this tying station doing the same thing as you did, looking at others and getting ideas. If you look at the picture and see where there is a brush and wire bobbin, that is where I am thinking the arm only needs to extend to, and where I should clamp my vise. Right in the middle of the bench or desk. That way you are not working over the edge of your desk. It will keep things from falling on the floor. Sure I can move the vise back a bit but I dont want a piece of wood to jam my hands into. If you look at most tying desks the arms or tool benches are rounded for the exact same reason.

I see a lot of tyers like to have a thread rack, sure they are alright but I wouldn't have one. Your spools of thread will collect dust and what have you. I really dont have much access to tools an envy you. If I was you I would do a search here for tying desks, (lots of members posts, search tying desks, etc. ) and take ideas from them all and build something that suits you.

I have a few things hanging but most of my materials are in drawers or on shelves that are easily reached from my chair, (swivel chair on wheels). I never know what I am going to tie or when, so I try to keep the majority of things within reach so I dont have to keep getting up.

I know this is not plans for a bench or tying station, but if you look at most tying desks its just a couple of arms or tool benches like I have shown in the pic on either side of the desk on dowels. Some have tool holders or other things along the back, but you will have to reach over or around your vise to get them. I guess what I am trying to say is think about what you would like and how you want your tools, vise and tying station, cause if you are going to build it for you you might as well build it so that you are comfortable while tying.

caddis fly IM going to go out on a limb and say that you woodworking skills are much better than mine!!! If I tried that desk id end up with a 12 pack and a killer bonfire!!! that is very nice!!!

I recently built one & so far it's working out good! It's a drop front desk, so it doesn't take up too much space when folded up, but gives you a nice surface area when you are tying. Garypost-8949-1167402926_thumb.jpg

Day 5,

Skills? Absolutely not! This was my first real "furniture" type piece. Until then, the only things I made were a shelf or two, or a small book case.

It wasn't as difficult as it looks. With a table saw, band saw, router, biscuit joiner, mitre saw and sanders, anybody can do this. The plans that got were very clear and simple. At first, I was doubtful of my skills.

The key is to take your time, don't rush. If you feel the need to speed things up, walk away until another time.

With this desk, I started with rough cut maple boards and planed them to the desired thickness, but off the shelf wood, even pine, will work.

I am going to add inside organizers soon, The plastic drawers are ok, but I want better.

I wasn't going to be happy until I built exactly what I wanted. I had experimented with several table-top designs, but I needed the security of being able to close it up tight to keep kitty out of the expensive feathers!

I have found that I tie more and better flies. I don't have to get everything out, set it all up, tie a few, only to be distracted by life in general. With a roll-top, I can simply close it up and walk away, even with a fly half tied.

Try it!

Gary, The Drop-Front is great! Nice work! That is another type that allows you to close up and walk away when necessary.

Caddisfly

The first link encompasses a variety of versions that could be purchased, or utilized for ideas as far as things such as overall dimensions and layout are concerned. I based the design of my fly tying station, in the second link, on features of retail versions as well as my own ideas. There are a lot of nice portable setups, desks, etc. to choose from. However, it is certainly not that difficult to build your own at a fraction of the price of what others are charging.

http://www.ultimateflytying.com/Benches.htm

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/RJD32/tyingstation.jpg

If I tried that desk id end up with a 12 pack and a killer bon fire!!!

That sums up my patience level for woodworking perfectly!

Go to Johan's site and this page. Its printed in Dutch, but he's got great pictures and a spectacularly versatile tying bench. I think his rates at the top of the best I've ever seen.

Johan's Flytyingbench.