Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Slacker

Ideas for ice fishing jigs?

I just painted some jig heads for some ice fishing. Red, Black and white.

I have never tied any jigs, let alone for ice fishing, before and just wondered if anyone had any good ideas as to what materials I could staple to the hook?

Any thoughts or ideas ones would be appreciated.

Even serious ones...... B)

Can't help you on this one Slacker. I catch all my fish when the water is blue & soft, not white & froze. Then it's just a short walk in my slippers to the freezer in my garage. Yum, yum, eh! ;)

Most any jig you tie will be for agressive and larger fish and I don't believe that color of head or body matters much; you usually have to tip it with live bait. There is a fun way of using your techniques for fly fishing for panfish that a fly fishing friend of mine and I do each winter. Tie some very small beadhead nymphs on scud hooks and use them as you would your normal ice fishing fly with bait. We have found that the smaller ones work outstanding. The best test for your flies is to use your favorite baited fly and your new tied bead head fly on the same line and see which gets more fish. If you are catching fish on bait and none on your new fly, then go back to the bench. It's fun and gives you something to do until Spring and opening day. Gunner

Afew Ideas . sart with a bead head metal glass glowin the dark . then tie in a marabue tail from the bead

back or try crystal flash or flashabue. you could also wrap wire around the hook shank and

glue prismatic tape to the hook thus making a jiging spoon. or use a press on finger nail .

here is another idea for a waxie imatation 6/0 or 8/0 black or brown thread i used black

use a cadis hook thats curved . wrap a body with wire or lead with a bit more bulk in the chenter .tie on a cream color yarn at bend wrap back a bit and then forwerd

wrap yarn forwerd . form head whip finish then run a lighter fast over the body to singe the fuzzyness

and add a bit of brownish grayish hue to the bodie .

go to a craft store and buy glow in thedark tubeing or vynle and use that for a body .

buy 1/64 oz jig heads all the way up to 1/4 oz and just make a jig .

make a jig using solder then paint the body . I hope this gives you a few crative ideas .