Fly Tying
Flytyer-1

Nikon Software Available?

I own a Nikon Coolpix 885 for macrophotgraphing flies and tying steps. It works beautifully. However, when I connect the camera to my computer with the USB cable, the camera will only work to transfer photos previously loaded onto the memory card. This is the normal operation. What I would like to do is connect the camera to the computer and be able to see (enlarged) the image in the camera's viewfinder/LCD BEFORE taking the photograph-with the camera still connected to the computer. The purpose is to know that I have a "keeper" photo on the computer before going to the next tying step. Downloading each photo one at a time after each tying step is rather time consuming, as you might guess. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Feel free to contact me by email if you prefer.

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

[email protected]

I'm wondering if there is a button that can be pressed, on camera, which changes the normal full shot on the LCD, to a zoomed in detailed shot. My Nikon has the ability to zoom in, and scroll around, all viewable on the cameras LCD. I used to have my camera set so that when a pic was taken, I could press a button and zoomed in very close, to see if a pic is sharp. Now I have it set to flash white where highlights are blownout, too bad I haven't figured out how to make it do both, seems to be one or the other, while all of the other choice are still there, like viewing rgb histograms, etc...

I would check the cameras manual to see if you can zoom in on camera.

Nikon "Picture Project" allows you to zoom in, but I think you have have to download the files first?

Do you have a computer at your tying desk?

Graham

Graham,

I have a laptop in my tying room. I am trying to save myself having to download each shot to see it on the computer. I would like to have the computer act as the LCD on the back of the camera. That way I know I have the shot, depth of field and focus I desire, before taking the photograph.

Best From Nashville-

Stack Scoville

Stack,

I do believe that some Nikon models do allow you to use your computer to operate your camera. I don't know the models off the top of my head or the software but if I run across it I will let you know. I have used a TV screen that views what is on the LCD at my work using a Sony camera. I think it is hooked up with the A/V port on the camera, I haven't tried it with a Nikon.

My D200 using Nikon Capture software allows for connecting the camera to a computer, and being in full control of the camera, and all of it's functions, except for manaul focus, using a keyboard. I've never tried that though, and use manual focus for my macro shots.

Hi Stack,

Jim Schollmeyer tells me he connects his Nikon camera via a firewire connection. You might check your instruction manual to see if it has detail for such an operation. I'm using an old Nikon and I use the zoom/scan feature to check a newly shot "fly step" before going on to the next step. Then I download a complete fly's instructions plus 3 or 4 "final shots" of the pattern.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com