Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smokinprice

Paint for Eyes and Beaded Chains

I picked up some plastic beaded chains for a pattern I want to tie. I actually tied it with lead eyes not realizing it needed the plastic ones. Anyways, I was wodnering if someone out there might know what paint I could use to paint them. I need to make yellow and black eyes. I was thinking of using some type of spray paint such as Krylon or such. What do you all use? Any thoughts?

I have used enamel paints.. like the ones for model cars an such .. i picked up a cheapy air brush too, this helps if your tying mass amounts of flies .. or if you do jigs heads aswell.. and when you do the pupil of the eye .. i use a tooth pick to apply .. I find them helpful, if you want a bigger pupil you can just blunt the end a lil. Hope this helps .. :cheers:

you can use permanent markers, you can use fabric paint / or model piants

like you use on plastic models . finger nail polish if you can find the right colors .

I put a base coat of white paint first. then I use a stolen (ok, borrowed, from my wife) bottle of some kind of metallic red/pink fingernail polish for the main color, black enamel for the pupil.

I sure miss that color on my wife's fingernails, but a man must have priorities.

:headbang:

Interesting. Well since my wife doesnt paint her nails that would mean I would have to buy some. I am not sure I am ready for that yet. That would be a long walk to the register!

The men on here collectively know more about Sally Hansen's than any other group in the world (at least of any group that prefer women for companionship) :)

Sally Hansen is one happy camper, I bet. I usually use a marker and then mark the string part as a pupil.

I once saw an online article where a tyer took a large permanent marker and split the metal tube and put the ink and felt part in a zip lock baggie, then put the bead chain in to dye it. I will see if I can find it again

Interesting. Well since my wife doesnt paint her nails that would mean I would have to buy some. I am not sure I am ready for that yet. That would be a long walk to the register!
:hyst: :hyst:

I almost bought some pantyhose the other day for dragonfly eyes .. didnt quite make it that far, luckly i found some mesh ribbon on the way to the register. I felt my face going red trying to think of something to say as i walkin up. lmao, the things we do for materials.. :cheers:

I use finger nail polish to paint everything, there isn't a color that you can't get.

Last week when my daughter got her allowance she asked me to take her to Target to get some of those fake press on nails. Well we got there and I grabbed about a dozen different colors for myself. She grabbed two colors that I had already grabbed. So to avoid any suspicion from the cashier by having doubles of a couple colors, I told her to put those back and she could just share with me. :hyst:

And of course I ended up asking for the press on nails when they fell off too :lol:

Well I am going to Walmart tomorrow to pick up some "supplies" (read nail polish) with my wife. She has already been advised on what her role is! :D Wish me luck as I hope she doesnt back out. Although my 12 year old daughter has already been briefed as a back up!!!!

I just wait until my wife calls me on the cel phone, and directs me to stop and pick up her - um, well, feminine hygiene supplies - which happens every once in a while, because she is apparently unable to figure out when she'll be needing them (she's only been dealing with it for 30-some years...) that's the perfect time to pick up the panty-hose and nail polish. Anyone who sees immediately knows you're already embarassed, so you might as well just hold your head up and get on with it.... :hyst:

So I bought my nail polish yesterday at Walmart. It was so great having the wife help. As we sat in the middle of the aisle my wife asked me several times with numerous women about "Do you like this color? how about this one?" Those arent bad and I could have lived with it. What hurt was when she asked repeatedly "How about this color for you? It would look good!" The amount of stares and looks I got was amazing!

sweet... don't you love it when they not only poke you with a sharp stick, they gotta twist it when it's in?