Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
camoham

questions regarding deer hair.

hello all again,

as i have not introducted myself, will provide a little info. I am an avid whitetail archer. i hang my own stands, have learned to completely butcher deer and make whatever products i wish, and finally...................i tan my hides that are given as keepsakes to children and soon grandchildren.

now to the point.

i have 2-3 hides in my garage that are not being used (may have hole in leather, etc) anyway i have found that for tying............i have many choices for different coarsness or color variation.

anyone have suggestions for which sections might be the best for "spinning"............or any sections by experience do not work well.

i already like white belly hair for tails.

thanks in advance for any suggestions/knowledge.

camoham

Blue Ribbon Flies web site has an excellent little article on types of hair and their uses....while it is not all about white tail deer, it does describe the hair characteristics you would want for different types of flies.

I use coastal deer hair for many of my patterns and what Hareline calls comparadun deer hair....these are primarily trout flies from size 10-16; on smaller flies I substitute CDC or poly for the wings.

Sounds like you have enough deer hair to last your lifetime.....

Happy tying,

Hot Tuna

i know that when you go to a flytying shop and buy dyed deer hair, they usually take the white belley hair and dye it whatever color, and that stuff is excellent for spininng. i also heard that the hair frome the very top of their back is good, as is the hair near their rump. the finer the hair the less likely it is to flair....thats what i have learned from experience.

there is a huge range of hair on any given deer hide. it all depends on what you're wanting to tie, and of course where and when the deer was killed. Good northern whitetails killed in winter will have bunches of nice long coarse hollow hair for bass bugs etc. A florida whitetail killed in early archery season will have mostly hair that is next to impossible to flair and spin.

Look at Chris Helm's website, I think he talks about it all, and seems to know more about deer hair than anyone. I think it's www.whitetailflytying.com.

I've been really disappointed lately with the pieces of deer hair I've bought lately for bass bugs. BassPro and Cabelas both sent me deer hair that was crap for spinning. Next hair I have to mail order will be from Helm.

edit:

here, check this link-

http://globalflyfisher.com/staff/helm/selecting/chart.html

it has a chart of what kind of hair is usually found where on the deer hide. neat.