Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
novemberhooker

What is this material?

OK, so this is the fly I hooked my first steelhead on (hooked not landed, becasue the crappy hook bent). Anyway I'm trying to find out what material it uses for the wingcase/flashback. I think its like some kind of epoxy coated flashbou. I've never seen flashabou with this kind of clear/pearl/purple sheen. I'll also point out I bummed it off a guide buddy of mine who can't remeber where he got it or what it's called (although its probably Montana Fly co. cuz he gets a proform from them).

So I guess its obvious I want to find out what this stuff is so I can tie them for myself in large quantities and on beefier hooks.

Thanks for any help.

Here's some pics

post-10553-1172643744_thumb.jpg

It could well be Flashabou Mirage, or perhaps just a sheet of Mirage with strips cut to size. That is the stuff I use precisely because of it's irridescent properties, and they do make it in about a dozen colors, including a purple.

Medallion sheeting maybe? I don't know if it comes in a pearlescent style though.

I use Christmas tinsel that is supposed to be icicles. It is basically flashabou that is about 1'-6" long and is and 1/8" to maybe 3/8" wide.

Bad thing is you can only find it around the holidays, but I bet some shop on the web has it available.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Frank

:) I just got in from Walmarts & they have some nice wide(1/4" ) easter basket grass thats cut in 2" lengths.

It comes in Pink (for my Saltwater shrimp patterns ), Green (for my Caddis nymphs), Yellow (for my Stone flys) & a Pearlescent one almost like your photo. Costs a whopping $1.98 & it will last me a lifetime. Now if I can just get a hold of that easter bunny I could make up some nice dubbing . :bugeyes: Then I scooted over to the crafts area & picked up a 'Scrap Tote' for $5 that has dividers in it because I need to organize my Hackles alittle bit better & they fit perfectly. Check it out ...it might be what you're lookin for.

To me it looks like multi-layer co-extruded mylar sheet. You can et this stuff as a gift wrap at many craft stores, and it is often cut into thin pieces to make pearlescent tinsel for easter baskets and Christmas tinsels. I use a lot of the stuff for various flies that I tie, never buy any from a fly shop (over 120 miles to the nearest shop).

Mark Delaney

I think if you look up hareline's flashback sheeting material that's what it is. It's very similar to medallion sheeting but it's irridescent just like that.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll look into these suggestions.

Is the hareline sheeting striated to give the look of many filaments in one sheet?

Anyone know how to contact Montana Fly Co. with this type of question if it is in fact their fly?

Much appreciated.

november hooker? dude....

to use your vernacular:

yeah, well, yeah, how 'bout you be quiet?

I like to fish in November :headbang: , got a problemo? :devil:

Oh, ya and aside from the thread hi-jack, I got a confirmation email from MFC saying it is indeed Hareline's product, if any1 cares.

Thanks for all the help guys.