Fly Tying
Danoinark

Fly Boxes for Soft Hackles

I recently broke down and bought a C and F Design box and I certainly like it. But I don't like the way the slit foam holds soft hackles, it seems to crush the hackles. Anybody using C and F for their SH's if not what is a viable way? Thanks everybody.

Dano

Which C&F box did you get? If you are using the one designed to hold streamers it will crush the hackles. I use the nymph style to hold my soft hackle flys. the foam design is diffrent, it is "open" at the front.

Bounty Hunter

Its a nymph box. Its the one with the leaf in the middle. Has the little v cutouts in the front of the foam with a slit. I may just not be using it right. The drys, nymphs, midges and other sundry of flies I have just slid the hook in the slot with no problem. On spiders, flymps and soft hackled flys it skewers the hackle every which way.

Dano

After you place the fly in the slot, take a dubbing needle and stroke the hackle fibers that are out of position backwards. The needle slips under the hook shank. All should then be neat.

Chuck

Hey Dano, a little more pricey but those soft hackles are worth it. I'd take a look at the Wheatley design the insert boxes......I like the ripple inserts for soft hackles.

jman

Yep, those C&F boxes will wreak havoc on those soft hackles.

I've got just the cure, an Altoids tin, sitting right here. Easy to organize...just toss em all in.

You can just send that C&F to me, and I'll try to put it to some kind of use.

In return, I'll send you this fine, one of a kind, collectible Altoids tin.

No need to thank me...the pleasure's mine :lol:

Dano,

I wouldn't worry too much about the hackles on these flies unless they are tied in the traditional North Country style, with the hackles standing out straight. For years, soft hackles have been carried in fly books. Leisenring used them and so do I. You place the flies in the fleece, then stroke the hackles back.

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image

Bugsy,

But what would I do with the 50 or so Altoid cans I already have? :P

Soft hackle,

Excellent. I actually have one of those a friend gave to me. Any problem with them blowing away or falling out when you open those fleece lined things?

Dano

No, not really. Just make sure you get the barb into the fleece lining by hooking them in. You'll be surprized how many will go into one book. They are light-weight, not too bulky, and somewhat less expensive than most modern fly boxes. Since I fish a lot of soft-hackles, I have three books. They are fine for standard wets and nymphs, too.

Mark

No, not really. Just make sure you get the barb into the fleece lining by hooking them in.

Mark

:dunno: :dunno:

Chris

CM,

That looks like the wallet that Orvis used to sell in their magazine ads. They would sell you 10 nymphs in one of those wallets for $10 (I think that was the price). They primarily did it to get new names to send their catalog. Don't know if they still do that or not. Can't recall seeing one of those ads for quite awhile.

Dave

Dano,

Take a look at our slit foam fly boxes. They work really well for Soft Hackles and other flies that normally get crushed.

www.flytyingspecialties.com

Steve