Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
byhaugh

Favorite Brand of Hooks

1) Mustad 80%

2) Tiemco 10%

3) Argus 5%

4) Others (sorry my mind is blank) 5%

Mostly it is availability at my local shop, but Mustad prices are still an influence.

I have a stash of thousands of Mustad hooks....yet when it's time for a swap I use Tiemco. I have Tiemco, Daiichi, Partridge(Vince Marinaro midge hooks rock!) and Orvis big eye hooks for smaller dry flies.

I think there might be a little bit of snobbery involved in the fancier hooks hence why I feel the need to tie on Tiemco for others. If the fly was for me I'd be just as happy to use a 94833 or a 94840 for a dry fly.

That being said, the more expensive hooks are beautifully made and you'll proably never get a bad one in the batch.....

Hot Tuna

usually Mustad. "regular" series mustads might not be the prettiest hooks, but I can afford to buy them, unlike many which have become "boutique" brands- what was that said in another thread recently about marketing of tackle: "keep raising the price until they sell!" Even some mustads I used to use (3906B, for one) have become fairly expensive!

by the way, I have an unopened pack of 25 TMC 8089s, size 2, if anyone wants to trade something equal value (like 200 #2 3366s...) Those suckers are HUGE! I'm not going great white shark fishing any time soon, and I don't know why they call them 2s.

Mostly Mustads, some TMC, and Daiichi for trout flies and Alec Jackson Speys for steelhead flies. Been using Mustads for 40 years or so, never had a complaint, plus they fit into the fixed income budget.

REE

I mostly tie on Tiemco but have some Daiichi, Dai Riki, Mustad, Montana Fly Company and a brand called Lightning Strike made by Wapsi. I have used VMC in the past but it was so far in the past I don't remember much about them.

Mike.