Fly Tying
Wiets

Looking for a source.

I am looking for economical suppliers of bucktails and loose saddle hackle feathers.

I want to buy:

a. about 80 bucktails in about 25 dyed colors.

b. loose saddle hackle feathers - 1/2 pound in about 25 dyed colors each.

Your recommendations will be appreciated.

I forgot to mention, I'm looking for a supplier with a online shop.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from these guys

http://www.rainbowfeatherco.com/

The quality was very good and they were easy to deal with. I got a half pound of saddle feathers, quarter pound of peacock herl and a bunch of other stuff.

Stay away from these guys

http://www.plumesnfeathers.com/

I put in an order with them and it was nothing but trouble. They billed me for stuff I didn't order and over billed me for stuff that I did order.

Here's some other good ones

http://mschwartzandson.com/

http://www.zuckerfeathers.com/ (wholesale only I think)

Thanks

Thank you very much!

I found the retail outlet for zuckerfeathers;

http://www.featherplace.com/

Seems like they have an online shop with a payment gateway.

They also sell bucktail and fly tying stuff - prices seems good.

I wouldn't say $3.90 each for bucktails is a good price if you are buying that kind of quantity. I setup a deal with one of my local fly shops and he lets me add on to his orders with Wapsi. If I'm ordering a couple hundred bucks worth, he only marks it up 10%. Bucktails come out to less than $2 each.

What are you doing with all this stuff? Are you a commercial tier?

Thanks

I wouldn't say $3.90 each for bucktails is a good price if you are buying that kind of quantity. I setup a deal with one of my local fly shops and he lets me add on to his orders with Wapsi. If I'm ordering a couple hundred bucks worth, he only marks it up 10%. Bucktails come out to less than $2 each.

Thanks

No, I'm not a commercial tyer. I have been building a luxury 50' catamaran yacht for the past 4 years and it will be done within the next 2 months. It's now time to stock it up with toys for a 5 - 10 year world cruise and fly tying & fishing is part of this. So, I have been buying substantial quantities of all fly fishing things during the past few months.

The $2 plus 10% deal you mention is indeed sweet, but it does not sound like something everybody can get involved in. Seem like this fly shop is very generous to you - or am I wrong?

Thanks

No, I'm not a commercial tyer. I have been building a luxury 50' catamaran yacht for the past 4 years and it will be done within the next 2 months. It's now time to stock it up with toys for a 5 - 10 year world cruise and fly tying & fishing is part of this. So, I have been buying substantial quantities of all fly fishing things during the past few months.

The $2 plus 10% deal you mention is indeed sweet, but it does not sound like something everybody can get involved in. Seem like this fly shop is very generous to you - or am I wrong?

It's pretty common for small time commercial tiers to set up deals like this. I sell my flies back to the shop and give him a better deal than the other shops. It works out well for both of us.

Can I go with you? I'll give you all the bucktails you would ever want. :hyst:

Talking about coming with, we aim to invite some fly fishing people over once we have the yacht in a appropriate location like the Seychelles and Mayotte islands.

Talking about coming with, we aim to invite some fly fishing people over once we have the yacht in a appropriate location like the Seychelles and Mayotte islands.

Seychelles? Wow. Bonefish, Milkfish, Giant Trevally, etc. I wish I was you.

Have fun.

The only thing "rich" about me is the rich smell of my stinky feet and another part of my anatomy. :)

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

The only thing "rich" about me is the rich smell of my stinky feet and another part of my anatomy. :)

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Had you thought of talking to your local taxidermy ? might get lucky come hunting season B) steve

Thanks for the idea!