Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tompa

Red Olive Spey

Hi all! :D

Some years ago Hywel posted a pattern called Olive Chieftain.

Well I translated it into my own needs, a subtle spey fly with a bright "biting spot" for the times when the salmon is playing "hard to get".

I just have to work on my winging skills for spey wings with mallard. I want to take theese bad boys to Orkla in at least 3 different sizes. This is a size 2 Partridge Bartleet.

Tight Lines :headbang:

//Tompa

post-1781-1176141367_thumb.jpg

:D :D Beautiful fly!! I love the subtle color changes. Wing looks fine to me. Much too nice to fish. would i be asking too much to have you list the dressing? i have a real soft spot in my heart for spey flies.this one makes me want to start tying them again. haven't for about a year. been tying trout and bass and bluegill flies for this summer.

Thanks for the cred!

OK here's the dressing

Tag: oval silver and yellow silk

Butt: Orange STF dub and coral red hackle palmered and ribbed with oval silver tinse

Body: Peacock Ice Dub ribbed with oval silver tinsel

Body hackle: Dark olive marabou

Front hackle: brown marabou and Teal colored Orange

Wing: Mallard

sides: JC

head: Black

Good luck!

//Tompa

Tompa,

That Is a nice looking fly! I have to agree with Ron, your wing looks nice, and that fly would look good swinging through my favorite run on the Clearwater in the fall. Thx. for sharing the dressing!

Frank

Very nice tie! I've been tempted to try spey style dressings but I have little faith in singe hooks :( I must give it a go some time.

stu

Hi all! :D

Some years ago Hywel posted a pattern called Olive Chieftain.

Well I translated it into my own needs, a subtle spey fly with a bright "biting spot" for the times when the salmon is playing "hard to get".

I just have to work on my winging skills for spey wings with mallard. I want to take theese bad boys to Orkla in at least 3 different sizes. This is a size 2 Partridge Bartleet.

Tight Lines :headbang:

//Tompa

Hi Tompa

Beatiful spey fly. This pattern will do well in most Scandinacvian rivers. I might even try to copy it :rolleyes:

Regards

Jens