Fly Tying
oatka

Guys, Flies & Pies #2

Well, about 3 hours ago we ended our second Guys, Flies & Pies. (That's pizza pies.)

We had 7 of us show up at my house and we sat down and tied up 5 patterns. Of the 7 of us, 2 of us were the teachers, we switched back and forth between patterns, and then one guy has only saltwater experience with tying, and the rest were beginners! Next time, we might have 9 guys. one from last months party was out of town today, and another beginner couldn't make it. I might need a bigger house!

I took suggestions from you guys from a post I created last week, and those suggestions were great. We had a great time, and the new tiers did a great job for beginners! we tied up a mix of flies. We started with a classic wooly bugger, then a bead head hare's ear, then a foam floaty bug thing for bluegill, then a midge, then a clouser minnow. So quite a nice mix of flies.

The pizza and wings tasted delicious too. My kids kept grabbing m&m's and gummy bears (none of those ended up on flies though) and were running crazy until I got them in bed.

Overall it was a good night. The only sucky part is my buddy that helped teach some patterns thinks he lost 2 bobbins. but, neither was used by anyone, and we can't find them anywhere. I'm hoping he just never brought them with him, because I'd hate to find out someone pocketed them as a "door prize!"

It appears as if these 2 GFP's I've done have at least brainwashed at least 2 guys into doing more tying. the other 2 new guys have yet to admit how much they like it.

Enjoy the pictures! (yeah, nothing too exciting to look at, but I like them!)

post-6177-1179021640_thumb.jpg

post-6177-1179021702_thumb.jpg

looks like a great time!!!! i dont blame the young'ns for nabbing a few goodies....im gettin hungry look at the pic!!! haha and nice use of non alcoholic beverages dr. pepper is the best next to barqs root beer

dsaavedra, when I was asking for a name for our get togethers, someone suggested "Bugs & Beer" but none of us drink, so that wouldn't work as much, therefore the non-alcoholic stuff suits us well. Someone else on this forum suggest Guys Flies & Pies, and it stuck (for now). My 4 year old son can usually be heard shouting Guys Flies & Pies as the hour is approaching!

THATS GREAT!!! sounds like a bunch of fun you guys had. looked like it too! :yahoo:

Do you charge for membership to your get- togethers? Just curious if they help with the cost of the pop's , pies, lights, and what-nots.

longears, i do not charge to show up, but i threaten them with an upside down shaking for money to pay for the pizza. that "charge" just covers for the pizza and nothing else. this time (GFP #2) I said to bring your own drinks. come to find out, my email (much like my posts) was too long and most didn't even read that far, so I ended up sharing my Dr. Pepper. Also, this time since we had so many new guys, my buddy and I provided the materials for all the flies we demonstrated. So, even though we charge for the pizza, there is additional costs. Plus, the guy that demoed some flies ended up loosing 2 bobbins. I can't imagine they were stolen, but we can't find them anywhere. so, if i did charge, then we could possibly replace those.

I've thought about charging a flat rate that would cover pizza, materials (if provided), drinks, and anything else, but ultimately I do not want to make a profit off of friends who I just want to come over to tie with. So, for now it's just been 'if you eat pizza you pay for pizza.' And, I never tell them how much, just whatever they feel is fair. so far it's worked out and so we'll probably keep it that way.

Sounds pretty cool. I have a small group of guys come over and it's sort of the same thing. I like it better when it is a smaller group because you can get "focussed". I did a thing like this for my club and they cahrgeed $10.00 per head and all materials were included. You thing that you didn't know was how many were going to show up at each session. I sent out emails each week and the crowd varied from 20- 1(myself, that happen on 3 occaisions and I quit doing it).We were doing the sessions at a fire hall then, now I do them in my small shop at home. I like it better there because I don't have to pack up each week to unpack when I get home. Randy

I have it at my house, but at least 1 other guy has offered his place. We all have young children ranging from 4 months up to 9 years old so having it at my house allows me to be home so my wife doesn't care since i'm not gone, plus my tying desk is right there, so any materials I need are just a few feet away.

I have to set the date for next month!