Fly Tying
DeweyGreen

Tying a turkey fly

Ok Here's the problem I have a friend that shot a turkey(not the Problem).

He ask me to tye him a fly from the turkey feathers(still not the problem)

Heres the problem I want to tye a fly that looks like a Turkey. He dosen't want the fly for fishing just for display with the tail fan and beard.

Any suggestions? How to and what to use ??

Well, I don't want to sound like a turkey but, That will take a rather large hook (28/0 ???) you'll have the problem with tying it sparse, It's safe to say that it's ok to go over board here. You could use ruffled grouse feathers to get the mottled effect you need to resemmble the turkey feathers. I'd stick with birch limbs for the legs. You could fill micro panty hose full of cherry tomatoes for the beard. I can't imagine tying a 16# Tom Thumb...

Just kidding... good luck, maybe you should ask one of the "realistic" fly tyers...

Good score on the feathers. A guy gave me a couple a few years ago, they take forever to sort out and match feathers (which is what you want to do. Package like kinds together. They'll be easier to find).

Randy

I'm assuming you aren't going to be tying life-size, so I'd recommend spinning the body out of dark brown deer hair. Trim it to shape and then glue your feathers in to place when it's trimmed. It will allow you to get the fuller, mottled look of the turkey body and use the feathers for the trim.

Deeky

I assume your friend shot a Tom. If you end up with a fancy streamer make sure you use the turkey's beard for the chin. Stockard sells a cool display hook in two sizes with a clasp on the back might be right up your alley.

If someone has been able to tie the 2 of these - a mouse fly and a mallard fly, then I would think that tying a turkey fly should be easy - at least I hope so.

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/fo...mp;d=1173440582

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/fo...mp;d=1173440582

Good luck with your turkey fly.

carp-starter