Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tracy

Scissors advice

I'm looking for some opinions on the Anvil Sccu-Tip Quick Snip scissors. These are one of the models that has one finger hole and is spring loaded. (They look much like the pair Al Beatty uses in his videos.)

I like the way they fit in my hand, but I haven't tried tying with them. Before I buy a pair, I'd like to see some opinions on them. I'll also welcome advice about other scissors since I'm considering an upgrade and haven't decided on a pair yet.

Thanks,

Tracy

I've been tying for many years, and have never tied while holding scissors. I've tried many types of scissors, including Anvils. I know everyone says to learn to tie while keeping them in your hand, but I control the thread tension with the bobbin in the palm of my hand and scissors get in the way, no matter what type. I don't do production tying, where it's important to conserve movement, so it's never bothered me.

Now I use 2 Dr Slick scissors - straight and curved blades. Never had any problems with them, and they are reasonably priced. Hope this provides a little info.

I tried the holding in hand while tying, and was comfortable with it. I had an itch just under my eye and that put an end to that.

I have several pairs of scissors, but ever used the ones you mentioned. My favourite are a set of Dr. Slick 4 inch Iris scissors. no finger loops.

http://www.drslick.com/products_scissors1.asp

Chase and Joe,

Thanks for the helpful information. I'll stay the safer and easier thread control course.

It hurts just thinking about Joe's experience. I hope your eye is okay.

Regards,

Tracy

It was one of those to close for comfort things, so I dont hold them while tying anymore. I never realy got hurt, but while the scissors are on the table, it will never happen.

i really wonder how much time it saves holding them in your hand. It cant be in the hours, i can see 20 minutes in an 8 hour shift.

not really on topic, but keeping my scissors in-hand saves me the aggravation of putting them down and not finding them again... :angry: I know, I should put them in the same place every time. Too many years exposure to RF is taking a toll. I have 3 pair of scissors laying around on my tying surface and sometimes I can't find any of them! :blink:

I keep mine in a tool rack that I built on the side of my tying bench. Just a plain 1x3 with holes drilled in it to hold scissors, bobbins, etc. I screwed a few hooks into the side of the 1x3 to hang hackle pliers and other things.

I always know where my tools are unless my daughter uses my vice. The key for this to work, I tell her, is always putting the tool back in the same spot. As far as I can tell, no one in my family believes this. :wallbash:

Hi Tracy:

I use the top of the line Revlon Scissors (that's right, Revlon) for all of my tying other than cutting wire, tinsel, kevlar, and thick antron. For $1.00 USD they will resharpen them and they are absolute quality metal and construction right out of the package. Give em a try........

DaveG

Dave im geussing your wife left her scissors lying around a bit to long while you were on the prowl??

im happy with my dr. slicks... i cant stand tying with them in hand though like chase i keep tension with my palm and scissors get in the way

I tried the scissor in the hand thing for a while but gave it up for ergonomic reasons. Besides, I tie for relaxation and I am in no hurry at all. If I have to pick up a pair of scissors from time to time then that is just the cost of doing business. I use both modles of Dr. Slicks hair scissors and both of the razor scissors and couldn't be happier.

I find myself only using curved scissors. They seem to do it all for me and I am not use to cutting with anything else.

I use Anvils, never had a problem with them. I do have the Accu-tip that stay on my finger, for me, it's about convience and saving time ( trying to find scissors on my desk after a tying session ).

I started with Revlon cuticle scissors, but after 8 years the metal wore out around the screw hole. Not bad for about $10. I sharpened them using two very fine sharpening stones.

Recently I bought two kinds of surgical scissors on ebay. I have small hands, so small (4.5") sizes fit me just fine. First are tenotomy scissors, which have pointy skinny tips. I then ground the back of them with a sharpening stone to thin the blade down. I also sharpened them as they were not really razor sharp when I got them (Not sure I would want surgery after seeing how dull they were.) They are good for cutting thick hackle stems and silk gut, and getting into tight spots. Now they are sharp enough to cut like a razor. These were about $15 a pair. Second are standard 4.5" iris scissors. Got 3 pairs for about $15 including shipping. These are last year's economy models, made in Pakistan by a well-known surgical tool house (Miltex). They were razor sharp out of the package. I figure at that price I can throw them instead of paying 5x as much for tungsten carbide.

These are NEW not used (just thinking about that just grosses me out...).

After a few months use, I can see some wear on the blades. I'll sharpen them when the materials slip instead of being cut within the first couple of hairs thicknesses.

There seems to be lots of surplus scissors on ebay, but be sure they are new. Make sure you see a picture, as the same type of scissors have different shapes.

For tinsel and wire, I have a cheap pair of 4" serrated tying scissors I picked up at a show for about $3. Not razor sharp, but I don't care if they get nicks. They will last a few years and I'll replace them.

Sharpening is a whole 'nother posting, but you can do a good job, or ruin your scissors.

And I leave them on the bench when tying--Not sure I want self-serve eye surgery.

-E

I have been using Dr. Slick scissors for years, like 'em and have been very pleased with their customer support. Once dropped a pair on a cement floor and broke one of the tips. I sent them to Dr. Slick and asked if they could reshape the blades and sharpen (I offered to pay for the work), they sent me a new pair at no cost.

I hold my scissors looped on my ring finger (right hand) and the tips exiting my hand between the pointer and middle finger. Leaves plenty of room for the bobbin in the same hand. Just slip my thumb through the other loop when I cut. This is comforatble to me and allows for quick use when tying; also puts the points at just enough of an angle to keep them away from my face when I grab a sip of coffee. Can't tie without coffee... :)