Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
James Daly

EP Triple Threat (Laskowski)

Greetings all,

Here's a slaying pattern for Northwest PA. It's a pattern realized by my friend Mike Laskowski. Mike ties the original with Polar Fiber (Craft Fur). This one is tied with EP fibers for a translucent effect. These are generic trout and dace patterns. Mike ties them in Black Nose Dace, Gray Ghost, a Green and A Blue. He named them the Triple Threat because they are deadly on Trout, Smallies and Lake Erie Steelhead (The Blue especially on steelies). I've got to say, it's a slick design in that all the thread wraps are hidden. Nothing seen behind the cone head. Simple to tie and a quick way to fill a box with killing flies. Hindsight 20/20 I would have wrapped the shank with embossed tinsel, but hey they're still nasty effective. -Jamie Daly

post-4102-1179686140_thumb.jpgpost-4102-1179686165_thumb.jpg

Good Day,

Well done. I tie something quite similar with black or silver cones. THe trick, as you mentioned, is hiding the thread wraps. Also making sure it looks like the fibers are coming out from the head and that there is no space between the fibers and the body. I use my thuimbnail and push it deep into the back of the cone. If I am having issues then I use the end of a ball pont pen. Take out the ink and cut a channel to fit over the hook shank. Push material into back of cone.

Steelie

Good looking flies. I may have to try the conehead version and see if I like it, though I'd definitely add eyes. If you're worried about the wraps showing use clear mono thread to tie them. I tie all my bait fish patterns with clear mono. Here's a couple that I use in fresh and salt water.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I am a fly tyer  for "Fish-On" Flies and Things, check out my flies at French Creek Outdoors in Union City, PA.  I hope to tie some of the Triple Threat Flies and have them for sale there, hopefully they will be available there after the 4th of July,  It has been a busy spring so far.    Leah Seiberling,  Owner of "Fish-On" Flies

On 6/27/2023 at 4:37 PM, "Fish-On" Flies said:

I am a fly tyer  for "Fish-On" Flies and Things, check out my flies at French Creek Outdoors in Union City, PA.  I hope to tie some of the Triple Threat Flies and have them for sale there, hopefully they will be available there after the 4th of July,  It has been a busy spring so far.    Leah Seiberling,  Owner of "Fish-On" Flies

Hi Leah, It's nice to have you around. I hope you will spend some time here and contribute more stuff.