Fly Tying
bootow

solo canoe or kayak

Sean Juan is the one you should ask as he's got a ton of knowledge about yaks.

Was impressed by the kayak shown in this thread.

http://www.talkflyfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=15658

I imagine you could have a lot of fun with this one too. http://www.mokai.com/

Would be nice to have one of each to cover the different areas I fish. Gotta win that lottery. :lol:

Ernie

I have a Perception Sparky (now discontinued). Wide, 35 lbs, fits me, a rod tube, my fly rod, vest, extra junk behind the seat. It is not fast as it is a double track hull not a V hull, but it is like 30+" wide so you can cast without even a wobble. Also only 9' long so it fits in a Suburban at an angle with the back seats folded down. I can bungee 4 on the roof rack when I go with my family.

-E

A kayak vs a solo canoe is an easy one...kayaks work best for one person, canoe's for two.

Need to know more specifics as to where and how you want to use the boat to really get into detail.

A kayak vs a solo canoe is an easy one...kayaks work best for one person, canoe's for two.

Need to know more specifics as to where and how you want to use the boat to really get into detail.

Basicly lookin for an alternative to an inflatable pontoon.I have an odc super sport and don't like it .

I want to grab and go. mainly on small stretches of river where I can put in ,fish and paddle back to the truck.

May also do some longer trips but was told a short kayak (9 footers) was harder for longer distance but am afraid a bigger one would be cumbersome.I was looking at old town pack solo canoe(12' one seat) but read they are "tippy" or a dirigo .I am 5'11" 230ish.

I don't know if this is in your price range, but I can tell you that these are outstanding canoes if your looking for light durable solo canoes. I've owned one for more than 10 years now and am always amazed with how light this canoe is (at 15 pounds it is very easily lifted and carried on one shoulder). The owner has been making these canoes for well over twenty years. If your looking for a super light canoe, check into the black carbon fiber versions.

http://www.hornbeckboats.com/pricing/pricing.htm

I also own a 15 foot sit-on-top Ocean Prowler kayak, that I've rigged for fishing. I really enjoy using the kayak, but it's a heavy bugger to get on and off the car by myself (over 60 pounds)

I have a big canoe for my family, but wish I had a lightweight kayak for fishing.

For solo action... I think kayak will be your best bet.

G'day. In Australia many of us use kayaks (the dry type). We find them easier to manage, both on & off the water.

The kayak pictured weighs only 18kgs. It has no keel so it takes a bit of practice to paddle it in a straight line.

I have been towed by Bass in this kayak which is, I suppose, one of it's downsides .

Considering the pros & cons of both kayaks & canoes, & personal experience in both, I prefer kayaks.

Warren.

post-669-1184311847_thumb.jpg

Shorter kayaks are slower than longer ones - for a long distance paddle of a couple of miles it can really add up - on a small pond or short paddle on a river not so much.

Most kayaks are very stable, especially when compared to a canoe since your center of gravity is low. That being said their is a lot of variety and it certainly pays to try first if possible.

Most of the SIK - side inside - kayaks are very portable, far more so than the SOT - sit-on-top - variety.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/pungo-100

The pungo is a kayak I've used (although in the larger size) its quick and stable and pretty easy to manage.

The Dirigo I've never used personally but looks as though it would be similar.

Looking at that pack canoe about the only thing that seems to be a plus for it would be the amount of stuff you could bring, and a higher sitting position. The higher you sit the tipper you generally feel - especially if you were say leaning over the side to catch/release a fish. The higher position makes casting easier, but it also leaves you can the mercy of the wind more which can make controling a drift a pain.

Other than that the kayak is better, quicker to paddle, easier to control, and more stable.

Depends on the waters that ya' frequent, your size, your ablities, your preferences and your expectations.

That is too say what do YOU want out of the craft and how will YOU be using it?

In dealing with boats, Everything is a Compromise!

Don't let anyone sway you into any style or model until you have tried it out, and then only have you have "test driven" a number of craft and styles.

With out trying it out, would ya' let someone esle pick out your fly rod.. wt., length, taper, model, handle,etc.; fly reel; and fly line, just because that's what they like?

I own a wilderness systems Pamilinco 100 it is one of the shorter yaks

by WS and is highly maneuverable , I got it for small ponds and can wear one out paddling long distances. has a large storage hatch ( comfortably hold a 12 pk.) Lol

Don

The basic difference between fishing solo from a canoe or a kayak is controling the boats drift. Most kayaks can have a foot controled rudder system that allows hands free boat control while casting to or fighting a fish.

Building on Grunt's info...you can set up a nice anchor trolly system on a kayak which will allow you to snap on a drift sock and then adjust for angle of drift.