Fly Tying
Funnel30

Few ?'s On Beads

Okay a few things to ask.

1) What color of bead does everyone use and why (gold, silver..... and so on)?

2) Has anyone tried the bead vs no bead and found out anything to be different? Do you prefer the beads or would you rather add weight to your line.

Thanks

Aside from Gold, silver, black, copper having different sink rates (unless just painted) the color bead can add to the design of the fly. For example I do tie some black stone flies with copper beads but I prefer to use and fish them with either painted black beads or tungsten as it more suits the correct coloration of the natural.

When I fish I much prefer to fish weighted flies as opposed to the line when possible. There are two primary reasons for that; one it can cause a weak spot by causing a kink in the line, and two is that it can cause a hinge point in your rig that can make light takes hard to impossible to detect.

You can also make eyes from glass beads and have most any color you want. I have a lot of colors and intend on trying out this type eye. All you do is combine two beads together with some mono line that you heat the ends of until the beads don't come off. Then you use them like a bead chain.

Skip