Fly Tying
Harold Ray

Czech Nymphs

In your opinion, what are the best Czech Nymph books or CDs/DVDs, and where can they be ordered? I have really gotten interested in tying these because they fish good and would like to add some good books and DVDs about tying and fishing these flies, but I am having difficulty finding good ones.

There are several printed in Europe or the Czech Republic in English that I cannot find on any website. Does anyone have a good source of these?

I did just order this book, Czech Nymph and Other Related Fly Fishing Methods, from Czech Nymph, an online store, http://www.czechnymph.com/en/index.php?&am...;product_id=146 in the Republic, and I also got some materials from Siman, Ltd., http://shop.siman.cz/, yesterday, both nice sites. I'd like to get other books by Karel Krivanec in addition to the one above, and books of other Czech authors writing about Czech Nymphs.

I would appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Ray

Harold Ray......Hey I would send Kevin Compton a PM (he's usually poking around this site.....he has some good connections to Czech Nymph materials and what not).....the book you mentioned, was the one I was going to reccomend.....also try googling Oliver Edwards I think he has a DVD about Czech nymphing

Harold

There hasn’t been that many books written on CZ nymphing, possibly because compared to other techniques out there, this one has only been around for a short time.

Harold

There hasn’t been that many books written on CZ nymphing, possibly because compared to other techniques out there, this one has only been around for a short time.

1984 is the supposed beginnings of czech nymphing making that about 23 years. thats a good amount of time.

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/czech/

http://www.czechnymphs.com/tactics/tactics_2003_005.html

http://shop.siman.cz/index.html?pod=/cl1801735975.htm

What I meant was that compared to other methods which have been around for over a century, if not much longer than that

You are correct, it did start in 1984, strangely enough by the Polish (polish woven nymphs). It was brought into the spotlight in by the Czechs in 1990 at the World Champs in Wales.

The Europeans are the masters of this technique and they aren’t the most prolific writers in English, I'm sure there is possibly allot more literature on this subject in other languages.

Oliver Edwards has a DVD covering Czech Nymphing (patterns, tying and fishing techniques) :-

http://www.essential-skills.tv/

I have seen previews of a couple of these DVDs (on a computer CD included free

with a British fly fishing magazine) and they were pretty nice. I also have a copy

of Oliver Edward's 'Fly Tyer's Masterclass' which is a very good book indeed

(covers some Czech nymph style tying techniques but is not a book about

Czech nymphs per se).

They were 'supposed' to be making these DVDs available in US player format - check that out

should you decide to buy - if you do, let us know how you make out.

I bought Edwards' Essential Patterns last night. I started to buy the whole series of DVDs, but decided not to spend that much all at once. Does anyone have the DVD sets of his fishing methods, and what do you think of them?

Ray

Harold, I have most of his DVD's and the one you would be looking for is Essential Skills / Czech Nymphing / Upstream Nymphing and North Country Spiders (3 parts on one DVD). This DVD is not pure fly fishing technique, about half the DVD is on fly tying the patterns he uses.

As I'm sure any of the members familiar with CZ nymphing would agree, there isn't an absolute hard and fast method of CZ nymphing, most people develop their own style so to speak (leader length, rod and line angle etc) which suites them best, as long as the flies are on the bottom and your getting the drift right (not dragging the flies). . I initially struggled with it but then it just suddenly clicked and I've been very successful with it ever since.

Here is South Africa it's an absolutely deadly method for catching one of our indigenous species as the shoal like graying, difference is they grow to 12-15lb and fight like demons, Smallmouth Yellowfish. I've been using this method for a few years and it's produced allot of fish

I find that CZ nymphing in two main categories:

- What we call mono nymphing here in SA. This is the original style of CZ nymphing were there is no fly line out the reel, the leader runs into the real. I don't like this method much as I find it a little restrictive but do use it when it's really windy, greater sensitivity but you must be weary of our drift speed, it's easy to drag your flies..

- CZ as practiced by most people, a varying length of fly line out the tip depending on your style.

I was fortunate to spend some time with Dr Karel Krivanec and Jiri Klima here is SA, awesome anglers and Jiri fishes a different style of CZ nymphing to other competitive anglers, similar to Oliver Edwards style but still different.

Sorry can't think of anymore books but........

I can recommend Oliver Edwards DVD's - but I must say even though one of his films is based on czech nymphing - he is more famous for his impressionistic tying's - but he is also one hell of a fisheman too and there are a lot of useful river techniques crammed into the series. The DVD's are also good if you enjoy watching a decent fly dresser too.

The man is an absolute god over here in the UK and I was lucky enough to have spent time on a two day residential course with him a couple of years back where he taught me czech nymphing first hand. I only went on the course because I enjoyed the first set of essential skills so much.

Essential Skills Clip

Essential Skills Clip Two

Oliver features quite often in a magazine over here called Fly Fishing and Fly tying Fly Fishing and Fly Tying Magazine- might be worth looking at some of the back issues - there are often articles on Czech Nymphing in there from other Europeans as well.

I agree with the previous posts though.....everybody has a different variation on it.

Here's a link to a thread one of the larger UK fly forums - there is a post in there by a Klaas of the netherlands - which links to quite a few online sources - no new books I'm afraid, but plenty of online reference:

UK Czech Nymphing Link

If you get some of the Oliver Edwards essential skills series and you don't want the hassle of the tying some of the patterns - this fellow is a top supplier over here:

Spiders Plus