Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Skip48

First Woolly Bugger

Am I crazy to use these colors on this Woolly Bugger or is all fair? Also any constructive criticism is welcome.

Skip

IPB Image

Very good for your first wooly bugger! That may not be my favorite color combination but almost every color combo you can dream up has the potential to be successful. My only suggestion would be to add a wire rib around the hackle, you will quickly find that the hackle stem will break and unravel. So with a rib it would be more durable but other then that I say go fish it and let us know how you do.

:yahoo: Excellent first bugger!I agree with Will-The rib will give it a lot of extra durability.

i have heard the brightly color buggers can be killer for spawning trout... ? maybe im wrong. either way it will look good in the fly box

Very good for your first wooly bugger! That may not be my favorite color combination but almost every color combo you can dream up has the potential to be successful. My only suggestion would be to add a wire rib around the hackle, you will quickly find that the hackle stem will break and unravel. So with a rib it would be more durable but other then that I say go fish it and let us know how you do.

Thank you all for the kind comments as I do appreciate it!

I know it's kind of hard to see, but here is a copper wire rib.

Thanks,

Skip

looks great! but I say let the fish decide now. try it out next time and let us kno! make some more colors when ya get a chance. I will make a few buggers tonight! olive and black maybe. but instead of crystal flash add some green flashabou for lateral lines and also add a beadhead. I also have chartruese krystal flash now. maybe use that . so guys what do you think are the most productive colors of buggers to use? around here have had luck on just black and olive but hear brown and white work too

B) Nice job, although I am still a R.A. (rank amatuer) buggers are great to tie, and fish....you will catch something on that bad boy!!!!!!!

if you wanna make your tail shorter don't cut it. take your fingers and hold where u wanna tear it at. now just pull hard on the rest that you want gone. rips off very easy plus won't leave it all paintbrush looking. just a lil tip I learned from my homie bigcliff from north american fly fishing forum!

post-12314-1195108544_thumb.jpgpost-12314-1195108562_thumb.jpgwas bored today with nothing to do but tie. so I got a lil creative. made this size 8 conehead black bugger with rubber legs and green flashabou lateral lines. heres how i made it. I used black chenile for the body, marabou for tail, copper wire for rib, chinese saddle hackle for palmered body and 3 pieces of black rubber legs tied to be all 3 sets of legs plus 3 strands on each side of green flashabou for the flash in the tail and down the body. used the copper wire after to secure in the hackle and green flash.. not in that order tho. who know maybe it will work maybe not? was fun to tie and use all the different steps to add you own combinations tho. heres 2 pix. not bad. maybe the hackle is a lil long and the marabou tail isn't all on top of the hook.. other than that I am happy with it.

post-12314-1195108544_thumb.jpgpost-12314-1195108562_thumb.jpgwas bored today with nothing to do but tie. so I got a lil creative. made this size 8 conehead black bugger with rubber legs and green flashabou lateral lines. heres how i made it. I used black chenile for the body, marabou for tail, copper wire for rib, chinese saddle hackle for palmered body and 3 pieces of black rubber legs tied to be all 3 sets of legs plus 3 strands on each side of green flashabou for the flash in the tail and down the body. used the copper wire after to secure in the hackle and green flash.. not in that order tho. who know maybe it will work maybe not? was fun to tie and use all the different steps to add you own combinations tho. heres 2 pix. not bad. maybe the hackle is a lil long and the marabou tail isn't all on top of the hook.. other than that I am happy with it.

they will certainly catch some fish.