Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cwenbass

Vice for 6/0 hooks

Hello all

I am going to start making my own bass jigs. Not the traditional flies you use for fly fishing, but bass jigs like a jig and pig. I am not going to pour my own jig heads for I have no interest in playing with lead. i am going to buy the hook/head pre-made in bulk. The problem however is that most vices I have found are good for 4/0 hooks. i am not looking to make a career out of this so i don't need the best equipment. I am looking for a vice in the $50-$100 range that will hold hooks from 6/0 down to 2/0.

Thanks

Chris

Sounds like a Danvise would fit your needs well, it will handle 32 to 9/0 hooks well constructed and comes with great people backing it up.. good value, and very hard to beat for the investment. Falls within your price range as well.

Hook sizes that large would work very well with a vise that has grooves or a pocket in the jaws, the large hooks will slip and move in plain jaws.

You can also try and locate a used vise made by:

DynaKing - Most models have larger and optional midge jaws, the large have pockets for heavy hooks.

Regal - standard vise for many years in the saltwater hook area.

I have used both of these designs and they work very well for the largest hooks.

Regards,

FK

RDL,

Are there aditional jaws for the Danville?

I looked at one a few years back and ended up not getting it because it couldn't hold big hooks (I tested with a 5/0) - has it been redesigned or a new set of jaws added - or perhaps the guy at the shop just didn't know...

I really liked the vise and will likely get one if that has been corrected.

Zip,

Your post reminds me of many years ago, I decided to try saltwater FF,,,,I could not afford a heavy duty vise for the large hooks. Took a 2 x 4 and some radiator hose clamps and fastened a vise grip down on the 2x4,,,,c-clamped the "invention" to my desk,,,excellent vise jaws for the 1/0-2/0 hooks.

Regards,

FK

the quote above is from another thread, but it would seem to me you could work up something along that idea. A set of narrow long nose vise grips might do the deed. Tying those type of jigs is not going to be too intricate- so you don't need to worry about all the bells and whistles. Might be worth looking into.

RDL,

Are there aditional jaws for the Danville?

I looked at one a few years back and ended up not getting it because it couldn't hold big hooks (I tested with a 5/0) - has it been redesigned or a new set of jaws added - or perhaps the guy at the shop just didn't know...

I really liked the vise and will likely get one if that has been corrected.

I just clamped an 8/0 in a Danvise without a problem, seems like it would have held much larger, but thats the biggest I have, held it good and tight no issues at all. I've seen another set of jaws on Ebay for the Vise, however the seller mentioned it was the last he had and couldn't get more? Perhaps the Early Dans needed a different set of jaws, and design was revised, hence Jaws no longer needed?

Not sure but I can say it holds this 8/0 Iron just fine, I'd take a picture but my camera is having fits today :wallbash: Is Also a cheap alternative if you can find one used, an Old Herter's NO. 6, that thing will hold some big iron pretty well.. Don't think you would be disappointed by the Danvise though.

Or I wonder if the one at the shop had the midge jaws in???

Thanks for answering my question, certainly sounds like I need to give them a second look.

I've used a Crown vise for 10 years, handles ANY hook I put in it. It's a Regal knock off. You can get them at any Sportsmans Warehouse for under $50.00

Thanks for all the replies guys/gals. I went with the Danvise. I am hoping to start tying in December because I will be on the water until then. I am going to start accumulating various tools and lure making material.

cwenbass make sure to stick around the forums, great bunch of knowledgeable folks here.