Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
loukiii

Hello From Sunny Tampa Fla.

My name is Lou. I live in Valrico Fl. I just started fly fishing a few months ago and just started tying flies yesterday. I primarily fish saltwater in Tampa Bay for Snook, Redfish, Speckled Trout, Tarpon and whatever. I fish 4 or 5 days a week because I work evenings.

Welcome aboard, Lou. I don't fish saltwater, so I won't be much help to ya, the there is a great saltwater forum on this website that may help you out. Good luck and hope to see your posts in the future.

Welcome to the sport and addiction we all hold dear Lou! You are a lucky guy being able to hit the salt so much. Enjoy the site and get some pics up ;)

What's up Lou.

I was born in tampa.

I might have some info on some spots for you. How long have you lived there?

I recently lived on the east coast around the mosquito lagoon. So I'm very familiar with saltwater fly fishing.

I now live in missouri though and have taken up the trout thing. I love it almost as much. Lots of intricacies in trout fishing. :D

I moved to Tampa about 10 years ago but didnt actually take up saltwater fishing till about 4 years ago. I was a golfer... I had fished as a kid growing up in the Midwest (I lived in West Plains, Mo., and also in St. Louis for a couple years.) but kind of grew out of it because of various aspects of my life I guess.

So anyway, after I got the regular inshore fishing thing down I decided to try fly fishing to see if I could do it. Unfortunately, I really enjoy it... I decided to try tying because... I dont know why. Just because. It's part of the whole fly fishing experience I guess. (And Im cheap and hate spending 4 or 5 bucks on flies that get tore up after 1 or 2 fish.)

I fish the area of Tampa Bay called "The South Shore" which runs pretty much from the Alafia River to the Sunshine Skyway. There are some nice open flats as well as mangrove lined creeks and islands that make for some good fishing pretty much year round. And there are also lots of residential canals with lighted docks that hold lots of snook at nighttime just begging for a tiny white clouser, or deceiver.

I still havent hooked into anything really big yet, but I have caught a few redfish and snook and lots of speckled trout. Im hoping to get on some big Jack Crevalles up in the rivers this winter when it gets a little colder.

I caught my biggest fish to date on a gummy minnow. I had tossed it over the side of my boat and I was stretching my line. When I started stripping in my line to start casting, the line started pulling back. Turned out to be a big saltwater catfish. :P I actually had to use the reel. I have only had to use the reel maybe 2 or 3 times. I am looking forward to a big fish taking me into my backing.