Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Frogg07

My first Dries

the less dubbing the better... and try to get it to taper upward. Wings are hard, I still struggle with them at times... if your not using Hen hackle, try using that, the fibers towards the tip are shorter, so its easier to work with. also try working on proportions... not a bad first attempt at all though, they can be very discouraging.

could also be the order your tying things onto the hook. I would start with the tail, then tie the wings in and get them upright. then go back and dub, tie the hackle in, wrap it forward and make a head. hope this helps

Bunch up those hackle wraps, and set the wings just a teeny bit more to the eye, that will leave room for a proper length body. You should only need two wraps of each hackle both behind and in front of the wings. Both hackles can be wound at the same time. Makes it a little easier.

Those will catch fish fine, but will likely come apart quickly. Try to balance the hackle so 1/3 is behind the wing and about 2/3 is in front of the wing (more in front than behind). It looks like you're off to a good start, just keep cranking them out to refine them a little.

Good Day,

I would even skip the wings all together. At least untill you feel comfortable with wrapping the hackle. In fact, most of the Adams I tie do not have wings. And I concur with the previous statement regarding getting the wraps closer together. You really want the quills to be lying right next to each other and touching.

Steelie

I agree with the others...I too started by tying a few adams and they looked terrible!! You look like you're on the right track. Keep practicing and you'll get the trick in no time!