Fly Tying
Will Milne

Whoohoo Winter Finally!!

Been waiting for the first ice to start up here- I love winter ( maybe because it lasts till May and I have little choice but to embrace it:))

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

suggestions for improvements always welcome:)

Will

Great images, the contrast between frozen and flowing water is beautiful, as are your compositions. Very captivating and interesting as well.

Great shots, makes me feel cold :).. It has been raining allot here in Oregon, but that is what we are known for...We have had 3 to 4 inches of rain this weekend and the temp is in the high 30's...

Nice Will.

Won't be long for me either. The good news is with the cold comes the Owls...I cant wait.

Man that sounds strange, Im looking forwards to -30 temps.

Lol.

Ty all- it is a long winter here so I'll probably be boring you with ice and snow for months:)))

John lol @ looking forward to ....-30 C - we share the same perversion:))

I live on a small river with a good riparian zone in the heart of Winnipeg- little bit of country in the city. Lots of deer/foxes etc.

Saw a Snowy last week and Horned Owls are fairly common as well as Great Greys, I,ve just never thought about photographing them till now. See what your bird pics have done!!:))))

Any tips??

Blinds/Baits/??????

Will

I don't use a blind as I prefer to be mobile, however if the quarry is skittish and almost all Birds of prey are its hard to beat a blind. There are some portable ones id recomend if you want to try one.

I do though wear full camo including gloves, face mask ( at times) and modified a rifle sock to fit over my lens. Canons white lenses give off a fair amount of glare and any movement at all will be picked up by birds of prey. So while camo has its limitations Im mobile and once I get into position Ive had had all manner of BoP fly right over m head and within 15 feet.

Bait:

Some people are storngly against the practise. Im not, I think its a bit hypocritical for "birders/conservationlaist" to have no qualms about setting up bird feeders (which btw makes song birds easy prey) so they can see and photograph finches, Gosbeaks etc and then to condemn people who bait raptors with mice.

So go for it if you want imo.

Its highly unikely you'll get images of raptors taking prey or flying at you otherwise.

Be very prepared for windchill. I was shooting Snowies last winter in -30. Hard on your camera ( be aware of condensation), killer on your batteries ( carry spares against your body) and hard on you.

Being a native Winnepegian Im sure I just wasted my breath and you know all that :)

Im preying like mad to get Hawk Owls this winter.

Great photos guys. We are supposed to get 3" of snow tonight. Then only in the 20's for highs the rest of the week. I think I will start carrying my ziploc bags.

Jim

Ty for the encouraging words:))

Ahh Winter:))

It's funny I came to Canada in 1977 from Scotland- swapped rain and fog winters for snow and a redefined version of COLD!!!!

Many of those intervening years have been spent working outdoors 12 months of the year. Though now I go out there for fun not profit:).

For the past 20 years I have made a pilgrimage to a spot about 2 hours south and west of here during the first week of every new year to catch the dawn. The area is an ancient beach of a lake that once covered much of the Canadian Prairies. Sand dunes as far as the eye can see. There is a remarkable sense of the exotic standing watching the sun rise over snow topped sand dunes in January when it's -35 .

Perhaps the best part is heading to the local truck stop for pancakes/bacon/eggs/toast and coffee after the fact:).

Tis is a nice way to start the year and a nice reminder that wherever you are and whatever the climate - if you embrace it for what it is- it gives back in spades:))

Will

Hey Will, well said!!! I can feel your passion and I think it burns hot enough to keep you warm, and alive, even if you venture into the arctic. I have been getting some weird remarks from friends who are not into fishing and/or photography, and when I mention fishing for 13 days straight in NY, they think I'm nuts. Reading your message reminds me that the things we are passionate about makes our lives so much richer. Thank you.

Graham