Fly Tying
Sean Juan

Bass Line Recommendations

Hey I'm going to be getting a new line for my Bass/Pike rod and I was just wondering what you guys use.

I had a SA Mastery Bass line and was pretty disappointed with it - didn't stay clean or come clean with its special little cleaning pad - just wondering if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks

Sean

I've used more Cortland products than anything else over time; generally very pleased with the products.

I have been using the Rio Clouser Line. It throws heavy flies without a problem and handles really well. I highly recommend it.

I use a WF DT 7 wt from Cortland....very happy with the turnover of big , and I mean BIG, hair bugs...have used it for years

Big Daddy you sure stumped me on that one. A WF-DT line is sort of mind boggling and must throw a bug a country mile, and mend well too. --Paul

Back in my bass fishing days I fished the cheapest 5 weight DT line I could find. All the lines I used seemed to get beat up more than my trout lines do.

If you are using an 8 wt or up, look at the SA muskie /pike taper. it will handle the big flies with ease.

it was an SA line I got on sale at a discount supplier that was goin' down the tubes....but you are right, you can get phenomenal casts with the big hair bugs....sixty feet is no problem at all....If fishing elevated above a pool, like on a steep bank or from a boat, where you can get a great lift from the water, you can chuck that thing 8o ft if you have the room to clear the backcast.

I also have a LF 7wt line that is a great bass line....casts smoothily, but lacks the distance of the DT lines....guess it's all a matter or personal preference.

Thanks for the replies.

The casting was never a problem...it was keeping the line clean. Just seemed to pick up dirt a lot more than my 444 used to.

Now DT means "double taper" and WF means "weight forward" I never knew they had a WF DT line - I have a hard time picturing that.

What is a LF line?

My bass/pike lines wear out twice as fast as my trout and striper lines.

LF is Level Floating, no tape what so ever. Usually the cheapest in the flyline line...I learned to cast using a LF, couldn't believe how much easier it was when I replaced it with a WF floating....

If you're still in for spending $40-50 for a bass bug line I have one to suggest. Meant for another type of fly, but the Cortland Pike/Musky taper 444SL line kicks ass. It'll throw BIG flies and the big head cuts wind like a knife. Long distance is hardly a problem. I've had mine for 5+ years and it's still kickin' with no ill-effects. Big bass bugs are no problem and bigger flies aren't either. Worth a try. Good luck.

Al

Accuracy being so important in fishing for largemouth, I've never given much thought to being able to cast a bass bug for a long distance. If one can stay just outside their circle of fear, then that is far enough.

Of course, if one is in a float tube, for instance, their circle of fear is a lot smaller than if one is in a Ranger bass boat. At least that's my opinion.

-- Paul