Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crazynymph

HELP!

having trouble with my flies. tying a bunch of different patterns and winding up throwing them out. I'm just not satisfied with them to much. Never fly fished for trout before this year is my first. i have been practicing with panfish. i am 14 years old and have never caught a trout before. Not with a worm samon egg , or just anything really wallbash.gif . just think trout fishing is really hard for me but hope to catch them on the flies. now i think that how are my flies going to catch trout. now i want to trout fish the hard way now anyone could just sit there and watch a bobber, im saying fly fishing takes talent. help do the flies have to be like the perfect fly just like the pros?

Thanks ,

Greg

Greg almost everyones first flies and even alot after those first ones will not be the best you will ever tie. Flytying is a "learning sport" meaning that even if you tie for 50 years there will always be something new for you to learn.

Dont get to upset with your first flies they will get better,but keep those first ones and give them a try....sometimes a fly that my not look good to you may be just what a fish is looking for.

What patterns have you tried?

SD

have tried prince, hares ear, red fox squirrel , a bunch ive been tying for a year and a half but i will give them a try.

hey if you want i could send you some and you can tell me what i sould do better and tell me if a fish would get them rolleyes.gif

thanks greg

Hey there crazynymph, lighten up a little and don't be so hard on yourself. Flytying and fishing should be fun. I think we give trout too much credit, fish those fly's and I think you'll be surprised. Personally I have a small container on my bench and when I turn out a fly that is not up to my standards it goes in there. Very soon now I'll be taking that container out and have a ball catching bluegills with my son and nephews (nymph's work great). As far as trout go the most important thing to get right is your presentation, then fly size, then shape, etc. they just don't have that much time to look at your fly in a stream. First make sure you are presenting your fly properly to fish, and then if you are still not hooking up I'd look at your leader, when trout are finicky go long and light. Usually when I can't get bit a lighter leader solves the problem. Next try smaller fly's I usually start out tossing 16"s for searching patterns unless I see something that clues me otherwise. Since you are 14 I'd assume that money is an obstacle but if you can swing it "Presentations" by Gary Borger is an excellent book and I'm sure studying it for a while would have you catching trout like a champ in no time. Good Luck and have fun out there!

Do you have a dig cam or any way of taking pics of them?

The best way to get comfortable with tying even if you have been doing it for awhile but arent happy with the results is to have someone show you in person,books can only take you so far.

Is there any flyshops in your area that might offer a class you could take?

thanks money is not a real big issue with me i find the best ways to make it and make alot of it so what is that books name and where could i find it

Thanks,

Greg

Great idea on the class. Afly fishing organization had tying seminars for young men for free. My son tied his first fly at it and gave it to me. It was kind of scruffy but it was a killer and a sad day when I finally lost it.

Remember, bugs are fuzzy, ugly, nasty looking critters. Sometimes the flys we think don't look like it came out of a book could look just great to a trout.

I also read an article in this months field and stream about crawfish for smallmouth bass. The patterns without the claws way out fished the ones with them but no one would buy a crawfish lure with out the pincers so the manufacturer doesn't make them.

I have been tying for years and still think my stuff stinks but the fish don't seem to care.

If you can't find a class in your local area go to www.flyanglersonline.com, and go to fly tying. They have a course with step by step pictures that will really help you out. Don't get discouraged, we've all been there.

I only started tying two years ago and now I'm joining fly swaps and letting others see my tying, it helps.

Also on Flyanglers online they have the bulletin board go to swaps and they have a swap for beginners that might really help you out, each group picks what they will tie and then they do it. Steve the Swapmeister is excellent and you really learn alot.

Keep tying trust me you will get better.

Tight Lines,

Fatman

your flies do not need to be perfect. Getting your drift (presentation)right is much more important. This morning I caught a bunch of browns and rainbows on a WD40. I only had two of the flies to fish with, when I was done they did not look very good, but they caught fish all morning. Even though they did not look the same, I was still able to catch fish. If you are fishing a river, make sure that you know how to mend your line. I did not learn this until I had been fishing many times with no success. It takes time to learn how to tie flies, everyone has been through this. You will get better, so do not be so hard on your self. Take a class or two, or go to your local fly shop and ask for some advice, most shops would be happy to give you some assistance.

Crazy,

Don't throw those flies out!! The flies might not be good but the hook is still good.

Put the fly you don't like into the vise and shave the shank clean with a razor / utility blade.

Its tough to help without a few pictures, but as far as your fly tying is concerned, less is better. Keep things sparse. For instance, select a clump of material that you would normally tie onto the hook and only use half of it. If your fly is still bulky, use half of that half, so on and so forth.

Taking a Fly Tying class would be the best bet to help answer some questions.

Keep Trying, don't give up,

Chip

laugh.gif NEVER give up, and USE those flys!!!

Patience, my young 'padawan' wink.gif You'll get it!

These guys will help, and there is plenty of reference on the web. Poke around.

Here's a good one to try, his tutorials are great! (I use them too!!)

Trout Flies

Hang in there!!

the first fly i ever tyied was a hairs ear nymph(well that was what it was supposed to be lol) it was very messy, rib was coming loose and dubbing was falling off lol, but it was the fly i used and caught my first brookie on it! so go ahead and use them!! keep tying and they will inprove, you'll see. good luck . budd. biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif headbang.gif