Fly Tying
Crotalus

Anyone use Rite or Ekich bobbins w/ a rotary vise

I only have used (still do) the Nor Vise Bobbins. I like them and they work great with a rotary vise. You can get your thread out of the way and bring it right back to the tying position with little effort. the standard bobbins have to be "rewound" after you take them out of the bobbin rests.

Norm has revamped his bobbins and they work much better than the old ones and the price is still "right". I saw those Rite bobbins were close to a hundred bucks. holy moley , I wouldn't want some to lift one of those at a show...

I saw those Rite bobbins were close to a hundred bucks. holy moley , I wouldn't want some to lift one of those at a show...

Not sure where that was but Cabela's has em for $20 and $30. not that that is cheap, but i usually pay $10-$13 for Griffin ceramics.

Rite bobbins are around $20. Ekrich bobbins run about $90, I believe. I've tied with the Norvise bobbins, but not the Ekrich, and I have several Rite bobbins. I did not care for the Norvise bobbin, nor would I like the Ekrich bobbin I imagine, because I prefer to have several loaded bobbins with different color thread at my desk ready to go. I've never liked the idea of having to preload thread on the Norvise bobbin (among other things), and the Ekrich is so darned expensive, I can't imagine ever getting one.

The features I like best about the Rite bobbins are they use a regular spool of thread, load quickly, and provide an easily adjustable and consistent thread tension that you just don't get with the wishbone style of bobbin holder. That being said, I don't think there's inherent advantage to using them for rotary tying over any other conventional (i.e. non-automatic) bobbin. If you are tying rotary style with a Norvise, an automatic bobbin makes a lot of sense because of the way the vise is designed. While I use a "true rotary" vise, I do not usually tie in a rotary fashion so I've never felt a burning desire to have an automatic bobbin. For the patterns that I do tie that require rotary-style tying, the Rite bobbin works fine.

I have never used the Rite Bobbin, but have seen it used by its designer and quite a few tiers who work with hair. I think the main advantage is the adjustable tension allowing for a controlled set tension. The biggest advantage here would be with spinning hair. I'm not sure it would be more of an advantage with a rotary vise over a standard vise.

I've used the Rite bobbins for a couple of years now. The tension control is fine, but I prefer to set it loose and control the tension by palming the spool. I have both the short and long version, prefer the long. You don't tie any fly using just one tension, it varies continuously with the part of the fly you're tying, so I really don't see the need for a set tension control.

Rite bobbins are easy to use and have a great feel in your hand. I use nothing else and really enjoy them greatly. I think that, compared to many of today's bobbins, the Rite's are a giant step forward in convenience and ease of handling.

They cost between $18.00 to nearly $30.00.

Ray

I have a couple of Rite bobbins on my bench . I also like to have a number of bobbins loaded with different threads for convenience . The Rites are the best bobbins I've used by far........Frank