Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JJD

Marabou Muddler - variation

Bass in Florida seem to be on a different schedule than the rest of the country. A few weeks ago I spotted relatively big largemouth bass (~5 lbs class) schooling and moving around near shallow water. There were a few MUCH bigger bass amongst them. All of the fish had apparent lockjaw, suggesting that they were in late pre-spwn/spawn mode.

The fish will not hit a bait like they normally do. I went through a half-dozen normally productive flies and the difference was stunning. Going to smaller flies worked well. It was interesting that all of the bigger bass took the fly on the fall/pause - not one hit like a late spring bass. All of the takes were VERY delicate. This 2" version of a marabou muddler has been working well when given long pauses. The lead wraps at mid-shank cause the fly to sink relatively horizontally. In some cases I'm getting more action by casting to productive areas and just watching the line for subtle takes. So far it is working for small- to medium-sized bass and Black Crappie. The big bass seem to have taken a leave of absence. :ph34r:

Bass in pre spawn in January! You are not right! I have to wait till May! Great flies!!!

Bass in pre spawn in January! You are not right! I have to wait till May! Great flies!!!

Funny isn't it. I saw several huge bass (which I assumed were females) being surrounded by many much smaller fish in very shallow water <3'. Since they weren't actively feeding, I presumed that they were getting ready to spawn. According to some published literature, bass begin pre-spawn as early October in some places, getting into full spawn by December. Farther north full spawn may not happen until March. I'm far enough south that the Bass just start getting worked up in the winter. That's when water temps are finally low enough for them to enjoy. By late Spring most of the smaller lakes/ponds are already pushing high 70s.

Here's a neat article:

http://www.floridagameandfish.com/fishing/...g/fl_aa121004a/

Those are pretty without appearing too fussy. Have to wonder if they might be good choices for a shot at walleye on the fly.

Please check the link. At the moment, it's pulling up some red thing.

Those are pretty without appearing too fussy. Have to wonder if they might be good choices for a shot at walleye on the fly.

Please check the link. At the moment, it's pulling up some red thing.

I just clicked on the link and it goes to the Florida Winter Bass Fishing article. :huh:

In the past week the muddlers have outfished clousers by a fair margin ;)

That's weird. The link is usually automatically generated after a new pattern is added. It worked OK for the first few days.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern5692.html

I edited the first post, but there was some additional code present, so I also also corrected the image reference si things would display correctly.

Joe,

I followed my wife into a craft store that specializes in scrapbook stuff and they had numerous 12"x12" pages with all types of print on them. I' always on the look out for potential backgrounds.

John