Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
scotth

Swiss Straw Help Please

Hello All... I'm trying to tie a Stonefly Nymph that uses Swiss Straw for the wingcase and I'm having problems. In the book the instructions say to unfold the Swiss Straw and coat both sides with head cement then fold it back up to the width you need. When the Swiss Straw is wet from the cement it's hard to fold back up. When it dries will it be to stiff to make the folds for the wingcase? Is this the proper way to use the Swiss Straw? Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Scott

Be careful and it wont break.I would only coat one side.The last time i tied using swiss straw,they say to use Daves Flexament.Or you could use tan thin skin would also work.

I never noticed those instructions in the Swiss Straw package. I'm kind of a "when all else fails, read the directions" kinda person though. I use SS on my favorite Dragonfly larvae recipe and I have never had it tear. Ever. I imagine 3 folds would provide a pretty tough strip of Straw! :)

Perhaps you could carefully apply the cement after tying it in.

If it's doubled then burned using the wing burner set, It wont come apart. I use the plastic version of the swiss straw. Also, when you burn your wings, be sure that the "veins" in the straw are running up and down the straw and not side to side. Look at the wings on my stonefly on my site and you see what I'm talking about. Hope this helped you.

Randy

Taring can be a problem some times, but that whole glueing it together thing sounds a bit extreme.....if nothing else, when you finish your fly dab the wingcase lightly with some glue or head cement