Fly Tying
Guest Big E

Best place to live?

I actually live in Savannah, Georgia and used to live in Lousiville, KY.

I still think if fishing is your #1 concern, Alaska and South Florida are the undisputed angling kings of the United States. Is there lots of cool fishing elsewhere? You bet. I'd bet most anywhere you live in the United States you can find some killer fishing within reasonable driving distance. Heck, I lived in Des Moines, Iowa for a month and a half and I guarantee that I would've found some great fishing around Iowa that I would be happy as a clam with, and Iowa isn't exactly known as an angling paradise.

I love the fishing in Kentucky and I'm starting to really dig the fishing in Savannah. Now if I could just do more catching here than fishing! :lol:

Personally I dont think you will be able to find an anwser from anyone by asking that question, because we all think the state we live in is the best. Ethier because that's why we live in our state, or because we had no choice so we have made it our home and to us there's no beating it. I'd say Michigan, Maddog would say Arkansas, Kodiak Commando would say Alaska, Bud G would say Louisiana etc etc because that's where we live and love ;)

Only real way to get an honest idea of where you want to setting down is to take a little time and do a little traveling and see what each of the places your considering has to offer you. No matter where you end up I hope you enjoy it.

Steve

I would agree with steve, alot of places are awsome to live. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh PA and love PA so much variety of things to do (and fish for) but the people are jerks. I lived in Tuscon AZ for a while great town but not much water, Anchorage Alaska great place world class fishing but long winters(not necesarily a bad thing) but to many torist everywhere and the cost of living is high. Little rock is ok decent fishing, super freindly people, low cost of living but everyone moves at a diffirent speed around here.

I really think that anywhere you live is a great place (USA wise, not a big fan of Iraq) as long as you give it some time. Now If I had to pick a place to live it would be norther Idaho or western Montana

Look at Asheville NC. Fishing, food, music, and culture.

I can get on-board with that. I grew up in Asheville and, while it has changed since I lived there, it's still a place I wouldn't mind moving back to someday.

Guest Big E

Monday, I am headed off to Keyport, WA, (across the Sound from Seattle) for a meet and greet for a new job. From what I can gather, I will be spoiled by the flyfishing although I will have to get into saltwater as well.

If all goes well, I'll most likely be moving out there Sep - Oct timeframe.

Big E,

You should still look into Colorado if you want a nice all round fishing experience. Colorado Springs has some great IT opportunities, Quiet mild weather compared to Northern Colorado, fairly close access to great Trout streams and lakes just West into the mountains and great warmer water fishing just East. They have Browns, Rainbows, Cut-throat, and Brookies with in 10mile drive. Pike, and lake trout just a few more miles. Then they have fun lakes near-by for striper,small mouth and large mouth Bass, blue gill, crappie and suns (i don't fish those and not sure of the differences), even some cat-fish. There is also great hunting in the area if you like that.

The bad side is that the IT jobs don't pay as well as other parts of the country, but the cost of living is a LOT less than any west-coast areas... You really should look closer at those costs when deciding on the jobs.

And i am positive that other places have even greater opportunities and offerings, I just believe that southern Colorado has the one of the best middle ground life-styles to offer...The only big thing missing is an ocean.

Good luck to you where-ever you might roam.

IPB Image

louisiana ,great fishing from salt to freshwater ,mild winters great hunting and some of the finest eating in the world.

Guest Big E

Well the verdict is in. I'll be moving to the Kitsap Peninsula in WA state either in Oct 08 or Jul 09 depending on a couple issues.

I went out there the other week and got a nice job. Area was quite different than here in the praries of SD. Lots of trees, saltwater, ocean breeze, mountains. Looks like everything I wanted.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Lots of places I had been looking at. Problem that I was finding though was that a lot of the rural areas that have good fishing and hunting cannot support a good paying IT pool. I was finding a job here and there but it seemed that they were much lower paying than I was willing to accept.

On a side note...The first night I was there I went out to eat at a restuarant and sat down in the booth. After looking at the menu and ordering, I was looking out the window and seen a Fly Fishing store. Coincidence or a Sign?