Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hot Tuna

Bead and stretch super stretchy cord...

I was talking to Fred(sturgeon catcher) out in Bend, Oregon last night and he tipped me off to a great material. It's available at Walmart..it's called Bead and Stretch super stretchy cord. It comes in clear and black. This stuff will definitely work for rubbery legs and the clear accepts permamnent marker. Also, Fred suggested using the clear it as an overbody over colored wire and I can see some nice pupa patterns coming out of this. Best thing is the price...75 feet for $3.49.

Thanks for that one Fred...don't be a stranger in here.

HT

Another version of the same thing is called "Stretch Magic". It comes in clear and black, in .5mm and .7mm (the thinner version is more useful). Craft stores that deal in threadable beads (for jewelry) usually carry it.

Stretch magic is stellar stuff, I use it on one of my pupa patterns, and in place of larva lace or micro tubing. An article in flytyer just came out about it. Its truly great unbreakable stuff. I will post my magic caddis pupa shortly.

Sounds like cool stuff... I can totally picture adding a layer of the clear onto something like a copper john.

Will it catch more fish? I dunno.

Will it be fun to do and give me more confidence in the pattern? It very well might!

Jo Anne's Fabrics has the same kind of stuff. I've found charteuse, green, brown, red, black, yellow and one of the ladies says it even comes in purple but it's always sold out.

Fatman

hey,i found stretch magic and use it on midge larva and it is durable,i use the.5 mm diameter.

Tight Wraps

Rick

hey that stuff at jo annes fabrics is it translucent like the stretch magic or other brands in that article and if so what diameter is it sold in i think.5mm best for size # 18 and under i understand that .8mm is better for size # 14 - #16

So I was looking through my wife's craft boxes to gather up cr*p for a cub scout project tomorrow night, and stumbled upon a roll of this stuff.

MWAWW - HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!

It's mine, now!! All mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I dont like about the craft store stuff is it isn't hollow. It doesn't seem to lay down as nice as the hollow stuff from fly shops. For instance when tying something like day5's Go Caddis on a scud type hook, it wants to roll down the shank on the first wrap, where the hollow stuff will compress, and behave.