Fly Tying
Guest Big E

Fly Noteriety

I agree with what most have said that pretty much all flies are an adaptation of another fly, or a combo of several flies. if you tweak a pattern or a material just a little, you could name it " your OWN". Every once in a while I see an add in one of the fly tying rags for a flytying contest, or to submit flys to a big company, like umpqua. that is one way to get your truely unique or freshly changed/stolen fly recognized. Check out umpquas web site there used to be contact info on it to send in a fly for consideration to be purchaced from you. But the fly gets tested for ease/speed of production fish catching ability, etc.

I have tied for shops around here and even submitted flies to umpqua , but didnt get picked up. I realized after though that for me anyway fly tying is a form of relaxation for me, and to have a deadline to fill an order of 300 epoxy shrimp sucked, and realy took away from the enjoyment, because it became a job. and work sucks, I would rather be fishing.

Just my opinion though. If you want to have a named fly submit them to companys, give them to friends to test for you, tweak them and refine the tying steps to make it as simple as possible, take them to local fly shops and GIVE them a few to hand out to regulars to test for you, see if that sparks some interest. and most of all keep trying to improve yoour patern and dont be upset if it isnt picked up. You may come up with the next need to have/copy fly.

I have flies that I have designed and I willingly post tutorials. I really do not care if some one copies it modifies it. I did it for my needs if it fits some one else needs Make it your self or better yet buy some from me. the royalties form Umpqua or pac fly it 10% of sales. If you made a few hundred dollars a year you are probably doing very well!!

post-11886-1204387827_thumb.jpgHeres a good example of what I said earlier.I found a need to immitate a shad fry.Right now the fry are in abundence and all speices of fish are gorgeing themselves on them.this is not a new occurance this has been going on forever.I scaled down a silver conehead wooley bugger and thru the years have done quite well with it.But along comes this new material called sili skin.and after experimenting I created a fly that looks more like the fry I was trying to immitate.To be honest it may not catch more fish than the wooley bugger.But it has already caught more fishermen.Everyone whom I shown it to while fishing has begged me for some including the tackle store owner.

I tied this fly so I could catch more fish.I hope it works better than others .Time will tell.Ther is only a small number of us that fly fish in SW La. if this encourages one person to get a flyrod and try this the fly is a huge sucess and that is all I could want.I just gave it a name not my name and I dont care who coppies it changes it or calls it their own.

I don't think your wrong for wanting noteriety.But I don't think its something you can force.Just try to tie better flies.They say that "necessity is the mother of invention "and I'll bet the next great pattern comes from someone trying to come up with a fly to fill a void we didn't even know existed.

but its a close relative to the gummi minnow only smaller

IPB Image

i agree with steve. there are no new flies, just variations on old patterns. people have been catching fish with fur and feathers for a thousand years since they made hooks out of bones. i would never kid myself into thinking that i've invented something knew. just my opinion.