Fly Tying

Woven Fly Swap

Fred H. I'm no expert, but I steal, I mean borrow, my wifes embroidery floss. It comes with 6 strands, and you can use 2 or 3 or however many strands for the size fly you are tying, I have woven a few with rubber leg material, and they look pretty cool, but its hard for me to keep the knots uniform. You can use small or ultra chenille also. I have came up with a lot of rubber legs by buying big buzz bait lures and getting the skirts off of them, then tie buck tail or something in place of the rubber skirts. I dont know what to do with the lures, but I got a lot of rubber legs, and the original lure is just $1.00 each at our local Walmart.

Take Care,

Thanks for jumping in.

Fred, i used embroidery floss on the size 8 fly i posted. I've also used various colored fishing line in different poundage.

Brent

post-13153-1205247043_thumb.jpgpost-13153-1205247068_thumb.jpg

I finished my set of flies last night and am ready to ship. However, I will wait to see if the swap fills up before sending. Please PM me with the mailing address. Here is a couple of pictures of my Czech Nymphs. I hope these work for everyone. It has been a very long time since I tied any woven flies. Looking forward to seeing some of the other flies.

Winefly

Fred,

I think it is called the shuttle weave. Once you get hold of the two ends of the material you do not let go until you finish the weave. It is an over and under, back and forth motion. Keeping the right tension is the basic trick. It is the weave the Czech and Polish tyers use, they just do it better than I do.

The material used for these flies is antron yarn.

Winefly

I will be tying some nymphs to match one of the earlier hatches here in the east and midwest- Stenonema spp (Light Cahill, American March Brown, Gray Fox.) Probably size 12.