Fly Tying
dabalone

multi pc. rods

The last two rods I have purchased are 5 pc. in 8 wt and 4 wt., both Reddington wayfarer's. I have used my son's two pc. Sage rods in the same wt's, and cannot see a noticeable difference except my 5 pc. do have a slightly stiffer action.

These rods are so compact with both of them fitting into a two foot case along with two reels and extra spools for both. Not being someone to separate the differences between 2 pc. and multi pc. rods, have you tried the 4 and 5 pc. rods and what are your thaughts on them? Myself, I don't think I will ever buy another 2 pc. rod unless it is a 9 or 10 wt. just for my Salmon fishing.

Many people say that a 2pc rod has a better feel to it but i personally cant tell the difference between my 4 pc winston and any of my other 2 pcs rods dunno.gif

SD

Love my St Croix 4 pc 8 ft 4 wt Imperial Rod. I asked at my fly shop about 2 pc vs 4 pc and George said that technology has come a long way and that today's many piece rods are just as functional as those with fewer pieces. I find the convience of being able to fit the 4 pc (in the case) in the back end of my Subaru just too good to pass up. I do have an older 2 pc 6 wt and I bought a case for it. That case also fits in the back of the car, but only if I fit it in corner to corner over everything else I have in there.

My next rod will be a 4 pc 9 ft 8 wt Imperial.

More later,

Ken S.

the newer graphite ferrule tip over butt technology has lead to multi peice rods that have little to no effect on the action of the rod (though some people still swear so, but tests don't bear this out). The differences sometimes arise as some rod companies don't use the same blank geometry between different "peiced" rods, which leads to other things down the road. I like 2 peice rods better because i can leave it strung in my case with reel attached, get out and fish it right away. Just a time thing.

But if i'm hikin it, camping, or taking my time, i do have a few 4 peicers that are very nice and cast excellent.

Also be sure to seat all your peices correctly.... thats where most of the broken rods i've seen have come from... improperly seated peices. Not always covered by warranty either (many times not).

steve

I can't tell any difference between a 2 piece and a 4 or 5 piece rod. I have spoken to rod designers and their expert opinion is that there is only a difference in strength. For most people it doesn't matter. It's only in big game fishing where it matters. Most of the Tarpon guides around here have switched to one piece rods.

I have a 5 piece wayfare 2 wt. and like you say they are great rods also have a 4 piece st croix legend 6 wt. and broke it last summer the first joint came lose in the first hour of fishing and I didn't notice it the next cast shattered the ferrill 10 bucks for shipping and 2 weeks later the folks at st croix had me back in action and I have been careful to check the fit. My fishing buddy has this same rod in a two piece and I can't feel any difference in the two rods. They really are convenient for air travel I like to carry my gear with me when possible.

I have a St. Croix Legend 4 piece rod, and I love it. The rod has not given me any problems, though I have heard that earlier models came apart at times. This has never happened to me. The 4 piece rods are much easier to transport in cars. I do not see a differnce between two piece rods and multi section rods. I doubt I will ever buy a two piece again. I have caught large fish on my 5 weight and have not had any problems.