Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Funnel30

Opinion Needed for Copper John

When tying the copper john I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on using peacock ice dubbing in comparison to the peacock herl was. I've had a difficult time using the partridge so I thought using the dubbing would compensate for the legs and the overall bugginess look that I was trying to achieve.

I've also tried throwing some wings off the side that mix in with dubbing. Haven't had any time to try them out yet but we will have to see.

I'm fairly new to tying so just looking for alternatives. Thanks

different strokes for different folks

try different dubbings

nothing is cast in stone

Guest Big E

I think you should address your problems with using the patridge feathers first.

I had problems with it at first but I kept at it as it was a skill I felt I would need to learn at some point.

Perhaps if you tell how you are trying to do it we could help you out.

I agree that it probably won't make a big difference in fast water. However, you will be loosing a significant amount of the attractive property of movement that the copper john is a little short on to begin with. If you're just changing materials because you are having a hard time with them, I would have to agree with Big E, and keep trying. Peacock and partridge are two invaluable materials to tying IMO.

The ice dubbing works great. I use the black peacock and the flies fish great. No worries. Dub shaggy and you will get mucho movement.