Fly Tying
Guest Big E

Turkey Feathers

Guest Big E

What do you guys use to coat turkey feathers with so they don't split? I've used flexament in the past but would like some ideas for a spray application to do the whole feather at once.

Thanks

Krylon Clear works well if you want to spray. I've used Krylon for years, but here lately I've been using Sally Hansons Hard As Nails with excellent results. Takes a little longer to coat them, but the end results seems to be a sturdier feather.

I like spraying the Krylon, it's cheap and it works great. I am going to have to try the spar varnish because I have some and didn't really have a use for it......until now... Also, I am proubly way off base, but since I'm a painter, I am going to try some automotive urethane clear with a flex agent added. I know it rules out the "easy to do" catagory, and if it works, it also rules out the average tyer because he/she proubly dosn't have a bunch of cans of paint and clear sitting around. I might just be wasting a couple feathers and some chemicals, but...... who knows?

Take Care,

Thanks NymphNut. My wife came across the "fishermans prayer" on a real old cross-stitch that she saw. Since I show a slight interest in fishing :D , she cross-stitched me one. The original had an outline drawing of a guy with a fishing pole, but she changed mine to a little fellow with a fly rod and a big trout on the end of the line.

Take Care,

Hi Big E,

You've already gotten some good answers. You could also try Tuff Film which is a spray coating used by artists, etc. At least in years past I got the stuff at an art supply store. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

You are talking about display flies not fishing flies...right? I've always been told by the masters you should never do it unless it is for display. Even then it brings your skills to question.

Part of the "art" of tying is mastering materials that are fragile.

Guest Big E

You are talking about display flies not fishing flies...right? I've always been told by the masters you should never do it unless it is for display. Even then it brings your skills to question.

Part of the "art" of tying is mastering materials that are fragile.

No...talking fishing flies not display. I'm not sure if spraying turkey feathers to keep the individual feathers from separating when you tie them, for instance, as a wing case, can be considered unskillful. :rolleyes:

To me, a wingcase without seperated feathers, just looks better and the quick, easy, inventive, and longer lasting option is to put flexament, or as others have mentioned their ideas, on it. IMO this has no bearing on the tier's skill whatsoever. I don't know what "masters" you are referring to but I don't get it. I may we way out in left field on this but I don't think so.

What does everyone else think?

I agree with you Big E. I think that preparing something beforehand to make the task go easier for you just makes good sense. I don't see where "skill" has anything to do with the question you originally ask. I have read plenty of places to tie the material, either turkey, phesant, wood duck, or whatever, untreated, then apply head cement to give a gloss effect and to make it more durable. So, whats the difference? Either you treat it before, and make it a lot easier to work with, or coat it after you have spent three times the effort trying to be meticulous. And above all, if Al Beatty says "its some good answers", then thats good enough for me!!!

Take Care,