Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oxquo

Pike Bunny Fly

I live in South East Saskatchewan, a town called Kamsack just West of Duck Mountain Park I fish the Assiniboine River. Oh Fishmas Eve is The Eve before Fishmas day as in the first day of opening season. We are closed here to all fishing From March 31st to May 3rd and since all Winter We are frozen up, Our fly fishing season ends around November till May 3rd Thats nearly 7 months of no fly fishing. When Spring comes We watch the water with a crazed anticipation well I guess it may be easier for those who like ice fishing. So Fishmas is like Christmas but better. I go out every year around 11:30 and countdown the minutes till 12:00 then wet the first line of the year. Hopefully Santa Carp will bring Me a 40lber this Year, lol.

Ha! I figured it was the opener, but hadn't heard it called that. I like it.

You have a hard time getting materials in Saskatchewan? There's plenty of fly shops in Alberta, Manitoba and B.C that could mail you stuff. Even if they don't have a catalog, or advertise online, they'll often sell you stuff mail order if you call them. I know there's a helluva shop in Kamloops, one in Calgary (probably more), and one in Crow's Nest. And I think every "St." town in Canada has a shop too- St. John, St. George. I've been through Western Canada quite a bit, and there's no shortage of good fly shops that would be happy to mail you stuff; and alot quicker than what you're getting it from the US or Europe! Even Little Fort has a nice little shop!

But I do think I recall a resounding lack of shops in Saskatchewan.

Apparently there was a few fly shops in Regina but the fly fishing club put them out of business. I know the Fishing Hole sells stuff but I found them kinda pricey on a lot of stuff. I knew Calgary had some shops but forgot the names, I suppose I could look them up. It would just be nice to shop through one in person with say an unlimited amount of money lol. Anyways this does seem to be the least trout filled province and the less trout there is the less fly fishing there is. People even tell Me that there are no trout in the Assiniboine while I am fishing, then they stand in My casting lane which shows they are new to fly fishing altogether. I have fly fished for 30 years now but never really got fancy with tying so I am kinda new at that part. Aside from chicken feathers and dog and cat hair I really haven't tied much fur or feathers till this year. It's nice though, I put almost all of My synthetics away this year and will use mostly naturals aside from some foam dries. Anyways thanks again and I'll see if I can find a closer fly shop. I'd love to buy some flies even, the ones I struggle with, like prince nymphs, I just can't seem to make that fly come together consistently.

Quite right, you're in snow goose country, not trout contry.

Just pick a fly rod brand, or reel company and check their website. They'll have their dealers listed somewhere. Just see what's there. It may not be in Regina, but like I said, I've been to no less than ten very nice shops in Western Canada that would serve you well. It'd be mail order, but the shipping time would be better than buying from another country.

I just ordered Crystal chenille from a shop in Edmonton and received it today, 14 days after ordering. The sad part is that they shipped it the day after I ordered. I think if it comes to ordering online I will stick to Europe, the shipping is much faster. Nothing beats actually walking through a fly shop though. Online I have that problem of not really knowing the size of the material and then ordering Med, small and micro. It really doesn't save money at all. I can't blame the companies though very often as it seems to be a postal problem.