Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

how do you organize your fly boxes

ok i have a question for you guys. how do you organize your fly boxes? like do you have one minnow pattern, one crawfish pattern, one color for clear water, one color for dark water, ect...

the reason i ask this is because i am a very obsessive compulsive person and i have 5 or six minnow patterns that i like and about 10 different color combonations that i have started tying for each one. last night when i was tying i started thinking, whats the point? should i have just one minnow pattern and 2 color combonations, one for clear and one for dark water, or should i have a range of colors in each minnow patterns? will bass go for one minnow pattern over another? but back to the obsessive compulsive thing, i have started tying each color combonation for every minnow style fly. these are filling my box up quick and i just want to know how you organize yours, i guess there arent really guidelines to follow when doing this but i just need some opinions and how you organize your boxes maybe include some photos of your boxes if you could.

thanks,

sniksoh

:flex:

ok i have a question for you guys. how do you organize your fly boxes? like do you have one minnow pattern, one crawfish pattern, one color for clear water, one color for dark water, ect...

sniksoh....I have been fly fishing for between 35 and 40 years,and I'm STILL asking myself that question!!! :hyst: :hyst:

Jack

the best way to do it...........

is however it makes sense to YOU.

I typically organize my boxes (if you want to call it that...) by fly type or intended purpose- I've gotten away from carrying ten thousand things in a fifty-pound vest. I usually carry a couple medium or small boxes in a small waist pack, along with a couple spools of tippet, pliers, etc. I put the flies I think I want or need plus a couple "just-in-case" flies in the small boxes. Usually what that means around home is a bunch of small nymphs and wets and woolly worms for panfish, some clousers, and some deer bugs, and some bigger flies for bass.

Steelhead fishing on foot, I carry one fly box and that's it.

But you asked about warmwater, and when I fish warmwater, it's typically out of my Ranger. Being in a boat, I carry alot. I sort my flies by pattern; several colors in one box; several boxes in one bag.

IPB Image

IPB Image

kodiaksalmon - That is an astounding set of flies! WOW!!!

sniksoh - I arrange my fly boxes according to the type of fishing I intend to do. In other words, I have the following fly boxes:

• Steelhead
  • Bass
  • Classic Bucktail Streamers & Wet Flies
  • Soft Hackles & Wet Flies
  • Stillwater
  • Tube Flies
  • Topwater/Popper Bass (Mid-Summer)
  • Prototypes for testing (usually they get a put in an Altoids tin until they graduate to a fly box)
  • Terrestrials (Summer Trout)

1 box - life cycle box (several insects from birth to adulthood)

1 box - stuff smallmouth like

1 box - pike and largemouth flies

1 box - streamers

1 box - 5 or 6 of a couple dozen different flies that didn't fit the other boxes.

This lasts about a year, then I change stuff around! I usually have a Clouser Deep Minnow box, but I spread them around. Same with my dries, foam stuff and rabbit streamers.

Don't have time to read this post down.....but, far as my vest goes......i have bout 14 fly boxes in my vest.

Dries, Wets.....mostly soft hackles, streamers, emergers, Caddis of all kinds, bass bugs, etc., etc......mostly doubles of all of the above...........then in the truck, i have another 15/20 boxes full of everything........

Steelhead, Salmon, Pike, Panfish, more bass and trout, etc., etc., etc.........and both visors are completely loaded. And then at home i've got about 100 more fly boxes full of flies i have collected over the years. I'll prolly never fish those........actually there's no "prolly" about it. I won't! Then i have hundreds and hundres of loose flies EVERYWHERE, and hundreds more framed. I really have no idea how many flies i own.........but it's a LOT! It's fun to give 'em away, swap 'em, and donate 'em. I've been in so many swaps in the past, i got a lot that way. You come over to hang out, you'll go home with somethin'. Without fail. So come and visit. mark..... ;)

I just did this because I was having the same problems with my flies for awhile. 1 box I have all my clousers. I have another big box full of deer hair poppers, and divers. 2 big boxes are full of hopper patterns, and another is devoted to foam patterns. I have a friend who''s having a carp problem, so Im sure a big box of carp flies are gonna be in the works soon also.