Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oldfart

coq de leon

I'm thinking real hard about using coq de leon feathers for tailing on my drys, only which do i buy?? i see there are hen saddles, rooster saddles, hen necks and rooster necks.

Whiting sells a Tailing Pack that retails for about $10. Yes , I believe it is CDL.

Kimo

If you are after CdL tailing material for dries I would suggest you forget about necks or saddles, but to get a bundle of feathers as harvested and sold in the area of origin, the region of Leon in Spain.

These feathers come from between the shoulders of the bird, not neck or saddle. They feature long 'hard' glassy looking barbs. Pretty much ideal tailing material for the dries.

Here is but one source:

http://www.pechetruite.com/home.htm

Cheers,

Hans W

Hareline Dubbin sells CDL tailing material packs in light, medium, and dark Pardo on this site as well as many other places. I have CDL from a person in Spain, and have all three shades from Hareline. If they aren't identical, they are about as close as you could ever get.

Regards,

Mark

Call Charlie Collins, he has what he calls his tailing pack which sell for $5 bucks. No web site no email, you'll enjoy talking to him.

Collins Hackle Farm

436 Kinner Hill Road

Pine City, NY 14871

607-734-1765

Fatman

Most of the Whiting Tailing packs are CDL feathers. They are not the same quality that Hans mentioned but the price is less as well. The Whiting packs do make great hackle fiber tails, I've used them for years.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Hello all!

This is my first time in this great forum. I'm from Leon, Spain.

The Coq de Leon feathers (named in french) are not the same as the Whithing CDL feathers.

The original feather has a texture similar to microfibets, with rigid fibers. There are two qualitys: The feathers from the neck or "colgaderas", with low quality, used for tails or sedges wings. The other feathers are from the rooster shoulder or "riñonada", with high quality, used in traditional spanish wet flies.

PD: sorry for my english

Hi

I have used the CdL from Hairline and they make superb tails due to their stiffness and coloration.

The price is a bit steep but you will only use a few fibers for each fly.

I have no experience of the Whiting product.

Andres - thanks for the hello from Spain, and no need to apologize for your english, I wish I could speak your native tongue as well as you speak english. I would agree with you, the Coq De Leon from the spanish region, is special stuff, both in color and texture.

Please post often.

Check out whitewaterflies.com they have all of the Tailing packs from Whiting. They are from the shoulder of the bird, really nice quality. The feather has a good amount of space between the fibers (compared to other normal feathers) which allows them to be used easily fro tailing. The CDL from Hareline is from Whiting I believe. Hope this helps.

Andres - thanks for the hello from Spain, and no need to apologize for your english, I wish I could speak your native tongue as well as you speak english. I would agree with you, the Coq De Leon from the spanish region, is special stuff, both in color and texture.

Please post often.

I'm from Spain. I'm been using CDL for years and I've also lived in the Leon Spain's region for almost 8 years. There are only a small number of villages (the Curueño valley) that can produce the original CDL and the reason is that the underground of those villages has a very slight quantity of uranium that, added to the altitude and hard weather conditions, make that region uninque. In fact, there have been several unsuccessful tries to produce the same feathers outside that region.

Other important question is that CDL come only from alive animals and never from dead ones.

To me, the "riñonada" fibers are unique and I've never used microfibbets... and I hope to keep on being able to get "riñonada" feathers for my whole life (from both "pardo" and "indio" varieties), because their rigidness, their metalic colour, their "live" appearance, etc... and the same opinion for all the spaniard fishermen: we only used "riñonada" from the Curueño valley.

It's not easy to locate Webs translated to english, but I've found only this and I hope it can help you both in English and French:

http://www.gallosdeleon.com/Ingles/ingles.html

Enjoy it

I am also from Spain, as Manu Antón, and I confirmed absolutely everything Manu Antón put in his post.

In addition I recommend you this other web Gallos de Leon from where you can inform, in English, not only about the history of these feathers (more than 400 years) but also on the diferent types of feathers and the flies that make them.

Enjoy it too

I order from Gallos Deleon last year and never received my feathers nor was I ever contacted by them. I had folks that speak Spanish try to call them and then phone numbers were not good. I would not recommend them at this time.