Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

foam loop Hex emerger

Forgot to add it's a size 8, which pretty well matches the Hex on the Florida lake I tied it for. Right now the bluegills in the lakes closest to home (an hour drive) are keyed on the Hexagenia hatch. I would have scarcely believed it had I not gotten nearly skunked on my first trip there two weeks ago, using "standard" bluegill flies.

Yesterday we went back and I had hoped to catch them during the day on deer hair bugs which I posted previously, but we could not buy a fish during the day, on anything- including spinning lures and GULP worms. Right at dark the Hex started coming off, and the fish started whacking them. I had tied a couple of these emergers in preparation, and as soon as the hatch started, we were catching nice bluegills. the key was to cast and leave the fly absolutely still. In the darkness right before full night, the white foam made a visible strike indicator. My son and I caught 11 or 12 very nice bluegills before it was too dark to see.

post-10077-1212029468_thumb.jpg

post-10077-1212029483_thumb.jpg

post-10077-1212029500_thumb.jpg

post-10077-1212029515_thumb.jpg

Simple, Buggy and functional. The wing looks likes it put the fly right where you needed it to be. Is there a trick to getting the front of the wing to go straight while the back has a nice curve to it? Or is it just appear that way in the picture? I like the wing idea. I'm not sure it could match a hatch on our western streams during the daylight (regs keep us from fishing most places at night) but I will have to give it a go on some larger nymphs in fast water.

the shape of the foam in the pic is just a coincidence. I didn't do anything purposely to shape it that way, and it's very flexible so when it's being fished it doesn't hold a certain shape. I didn't try to make it look like a mayfly wing really, more just to suggest the dun emerging from the nymph shuck. Whatever it looks like, it worked really well while other things got ignored!!

Here in Wisconsin this fly would generally be used at night for big brown trout. I have a few anglers coming to fish the hex hatch in a little over a week. I think I'll add this one to my arsenal. Nicely tied! Thanks for the idea!!

cool! What have you fishied for with this.

I tied it specifically for the big bluegills found in the sand lakes area of Florida- there are rumors of 3lb bluegills. There is a very strong Hex hatch for a few weeks starting in May.

I found this fly works very well, but it has a downside to be aware of- it can twist pretty bad. Every few casts, make sure you pull your tippet through your fingers to get the twist out, or it can build up and kink. I'm working on refining it some to cut down on the twisting.

I'm new so is the thing sticking up a wing or what? I just don't know what it is about.

Actually the "wing" of the pattern would sugest the dun emerging through a break in the nymphs' exoskeleton as the nymph floats in the meniscus or surface film of the water.